Forstner bits in Lidl

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Forstner bits in Lidl

Postby anobium » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm

I bought a set of Forstner bits in Lidl recently for €4.99. Sizes : 15, 20, 25, 30, 35mm. No idea if they are available in all branches. Numbers on the packet are: IAN 73806, model No Z31219A, Version 05/2012.
IAN 73806
Milomex ltd, Hilltop Cottage, Barton Rd, Pulloxhill, MK45 5HP UK.
anobium
Regular

Re: Forstner bits in Lidl

Postby SeanHellman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Do use them in a pillar drill. The big ones can be very dangerous if used in electric hand drills. If you do use them in such a way make sure both your hands are on the drill and the workpiece is clamped to something solid. They have a habit of wandering over the wood and will send you to hospital if your hand happens to be in the way.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby RJWEcology » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Speaking of Lidl, they (in Cardiff) have those knife sharpening blocks (grit 200 - 600) for £6.00 at the moment.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:56 am

SeanHellman wrote:Do use them in a pillar drill. The big ones can be very dangerous if used in electric hand drills. If you do use them in such a way make sure both your hands are on the drill and the workpiece is clamped to something solid. They have a habit of wandering over the wood and will send you to hospital if your hand happens to be in the way.

I agree wholeheartedly and will add some more. A Forstner bit will drill a very clean hole. Much cleaner than a twist drill. But they accept corrections badly, if at all. By this I mean: consider a twist drill. You start the hole. Oops it's off, so you back it out and start it over. You will sometimes get away with this on a twist drill, by hand or on a pillar drill. You will never get away with it on a Forstner. Furthermore a Forstner is really a high-speed bit. At hand speeds it cuts poorly if at all. Also, the little point on a Forstner is very difficult to see once your pillar drill starts up. So centering it is difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. Furthermore it is impossible to step-drill with a Forstner. By this I mean, you want a 12 mm hole, say. With a twist drill I put through, successively, 3mm, 6mm, maybe 8mm and finally 12 mm. At each stage, the twist drill will align itself magically with the previous hole if you don't hold it down too tight at first (the 60 deg angle on the point is responsible for the magic). And my hole is where I want it to be. And step-drilling takes a lot of the wander out of drilling.

But with a Forstner you cannot do this. Once you have drilled the first hole you are done. Pillar or hand drill doesen't matter. It is no way self-aligning. I suppose you could cook up a jig to work around this, including a very sturdy set of clamps to hold the work steady while you change bits. I admire ingenious jigs. I also wonder if they are just power-tool woodworking, not bodger's stuff at all. All that said, a Forstner cuts such a nice clean hole that I use it when I think I can get away with it and center it properly. And I agree with Sean completely. This is a job for a pillar drill. You just can't spin them fast enough by hand (I have tried :( ) and you cannot hold a hand-held (power) drill steady enough.
jrccaim
Regular

Return to Tools