Axe identification

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Axe identification

Postby Stanleythecat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi All

I'm looking to identify the Axe used by Eric Rogers in the DVD BOWLS & SPOONS (England's Traditional Country Crafts Green Woodworking)

This has in all probability been asked before but I haven't been on here for a while and someone kindly lent me the DVD to watch today. Can you help and is it any good!!

Kind regards

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Re: Axe identification

Postby Billman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Sorry haven't got the DVD - but as you do, please play it on your computer, hit pause button when axe appears, then go to full screen, then hit PTSRC key, open Paint, paste image, save it as??, open in MS Picture Manager, crop to size, save as??? and then post it on the forum and we can all see it..... Takes about 2 minutes plus time to play the DVD...
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 pm

I'll give it a try...
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 am

Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby Billman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi that looks like a fairly common type of European hatchet - try a websearch for hache outil (FR) or beil werkzeug (DE) - use both words to avoid some of the rubbish replies...

Two hits that I found are:
Attachments
leborgne-haches-353948c.jpg
leborgne-haches-353948c.jpg (54.12 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
axt-beil-handgeschmiedet-foto-bild-64016522.jpg
axt-beil-handgeschmiedet-foto-bild-64016522.jpg (55.97 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks Billman

Its the size that i'm interested in. It seems smaller than the Swedish carving axe and has a shorter handle in the red beech style that many gransfors carry now. No doubt that it is a modern axe but by who as it doesn't fit the patterns of gransfors or svante.

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby robin wood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 am

Knowing Eric well I have no doubt that is not a modern axe, in fact you can clearly see it is an old head that has been abused in the past with someone hammering on the poll. It's a common form of head which Eric has put on a shorter handle. If you want a new axe with that shape the Bahco is similar, you often see them cheap in Argos, lidle or Aldi too, good axes but will come blunt as a banana and need heavy grinding or filing before starting to sharpen.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks both.

It was the handle that threw me. It seems like the new red beech handles turning up on the pricier gransfors bruks axes which although I wouldn't pay for I've had a go and love the look and feel of them. I've got a Bahco axe with a similar profile, it's quite thin though. Looking at Eric's it looks from the bevel that there must be a bit more meat to it.

I have the swedish carving axe and a lovely side axe but the size of Eric's appealed to me for its portability and I don't have a centred bevel axe either. It's only really for spoon carving; before I rip the handle off and regret it do you think it would be any good?

What axe do you (anyone!) like to use for your spoons?

Thank you

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby witt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:28 pm

witt
Regular

Postby simon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:36 pm

I saw Eric at the weekend and had a look at his axe. There is no makers mark on it but he thought it might be a Brades It has an even grind. The same both sides.
Eric axe 1.JPG
Eric axe 1.JPG (57.24 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

Eric axe 2.JPG
Eric axe 2.JPG (56.31 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

Eric axe 3.JPG
Eric axe 3.JPG (57.17 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
Make it, mend it, wear it out,
Make it do or do without.
FB Simon Lamb Green woodwork
simon
Regular

Postby chipsrod » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 am

i was impresed by erics axe and the interesting handel my own is of a similar pattern it has a thin blade and the word junior stamped in to it . i ground the front sholder to a concave to give clearance when carving. have not had the hart to replace the overly long hickory handl .the axe may be of britsh make.my knowledge of axes is rather week as i have don no reserch on the subject.i may put some questions out on the subject of a few of mine.
chipsrod
Regular

Postby chipsrod » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 am

please help if some one can . i know what the typ of side hatchet it is but who made it would be nice to know . i have tryed rubbings with no luck it is a round stamp about half inch around with what looks like an old pattern anvil with some one standing over it. i know i have seen the mark befor but i can not find it in any of my reserch material.
chipsrod
Regular

Postby gavin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:55 am

chipsrod wrote:please help if some one can . i know what the typ of side hatchet it is but who made it would be nice to know . i have tryed rubbings with no luck it is a round stamp about half inch around with what looks like an old pattern anvil with some one standing over it. i know i have seen the mark befor but i can not find it in any of my reserch material.

Can you take a digital photo of this?
    Can you connect your camera to a pc?
    Can you upload the image yourself?
    If not, have you a tame person under 40 to help you do that?
There are various postings here about uploading images, but the skill is not easily won by some of us. :? You could try this post.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby chipsrod » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 pm

thanks but the stamp can not be not be vewed . i tryed rubbings and magnafication with no luck with the naked i can just make out the profile. i have had this happen meany times befor on other tools. i do not collect axes so the mark dose not come to mind but i am sure i have sean it some place be for. i am not a collector in the normal sence but a gatherer of tools to be used. what i do not need i sell or trade for what i want. but now a days it is just the odd thing i see that i must have . yea sure i can see this going on till i kick the bucket it is to much of a rush.
chipsrod
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Chipsrod,
Gavin's suggestion about taking a digital image is good if you need to make out a maker's mark. I had a mark like that on an old family billhook, nothing seemed to work. At Billman's suggestion I took a digital image to upload. In the process I viewed the 12M pixel image full screen on my PC, I was then just able to make out the makers mark & name (Nash in a rectangle in that case). I believe Billman has a few other tricks too, using different colors, etc.

But sounds like you can see yours: anvil with someone stood over it - not one I recognize (hedgehogs & cross axes, yes, anvils, no :D).
Not Ward?
ImageImage
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/look ... ane-42486/
ToneWood
Regular

Next

Return to Tools