HK Adze "troubles"...

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

HK Adze "troubles"...

Postby Christophe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I bought an HK adze in December 2012 and since a week, the head has a slight wobble...So, I'm thinking that difference in humidity could be the cause.
My normal reaction to this, would be to put the tool head first in a bucket of water over night, but I'm wondering if I should try to put another wedge perpendicular to the original one or if I should try to hammer the original wedge a bit more?
Did any you had the same "trouble" with a HK adze? And what would you consider the best solution?
Thanks.
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Re: HK Adze "troubles"...

Postby nic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 pm

I wouldn't soak it in water, it will just dry out and shrink again. I would wedge a bit more, either a new one or the original if you can get it in any futher. If you still unhappy with the fit soak in linseed oil for a couple of days. This has has a similar swelling effect to water but it doesn't dry out and shrink again.
nic
Regular

Postby Billman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Unfamiliar with this axe, but as a general rule if head is loose, as the eye is waisted, it is usually possible to drive the handle in a little further, this allows the handle to protrude from the eye, so if the wedge can be driven in further, it can be trimmed flush (or slightly proud) - drive the wedge with a piece of hard wood of the same thickness, or use an offcut of steel...

Sometimes wedge has a square end, and bottoms out on the saw cut in the handle - if thus happens it can be difficult to drive in - it may be possible to drive in a small thin wedge next to the original... Best if you can take the handle out and refit it...

Went to Guedelon Medieval Fort/Château in France in 2011 - the hewer there didn't have any wedge in his handle - every time it started to come loose he just banged it in again - this with members of the public stood mere feet away - no safety barriers or fences ....
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Just screw some screws into the end or bang some nails in, it will look real pretty and stop the head from moving.

Joking aside, if there is movement do something now, as said before if you can refit the wedge/s then do so, you could also get so metal wedges and bang them in. If you leave it it will just make matters worse, the head will just get more wobbly.

So where have you been storing it? In a really dry hot house or in a outside shed?
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby robin wood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 am

As suggested by Nic and Billman do not put in water, that is a very temporary fix that causes problems, first this is not common, I have 12 HK adzes in the house and none of them wobble, I am sure if you wanted the hassle and sent it back he would sort it, dead easy to sort yourself though. First look to see if you can see where the gap is that is causing the wobble, is it front to back wobble or side to side? I'll guess it is front to back. Now bring it down vertically onto the end of the handle on a chopping block to ensure the head is seated then look to see where that gap is. Assuming it is front to back wobble with a tiny gap showing front or back of the handle you can whittle a tiny wedge of very very dry wood ideally oak and tap it into that gap then trip it off. I would be surprised if you were able to drive the original wedge any further, they are double wedged with one long ways then a second crossways.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Christophe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

Hi,

Thanks to all of you who took time to answer. I, somehow, knew that the water bucket was not the solution, that's why I asked experience people ;)
Anyway, It is normally store in my van (I live in it) and I cannot say that this is the driest, warmest place on earth :)
But, I've been visiting some friend lately and "stole" a bit of their fire wood (the non dry on) but due to dreadful weather I work in their cave and the adze spend the night there, and it has been wobbling since....
Anyway, I just work on some bowl yesterday and let the adze in the plastic bag where I let the bowls dry with the wood shaving and to my surprise, this morning, the head is not wobbling any more....so I guess the wood has been taking some humidity back...I'll monitor that closely over the next few days.
Like Robin said, driving the original wedge further more look to me like a job for Mr Phelps. And btw, the wobble was front to back as suggested by Robin, so if it happens again I'll probably end up whittling a tiny wedge.
Anyway thank you all.
PS: Mind you I might use Sean nails banging solution to get a radical pretty look ;)
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Return to Tools