Anyone use the Gransfors small carving axe?

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Anyone use the Gransfors small carving axe?

Postby Stanleythecat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 am

Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience with the above axe? Is it too small or would you consider it for a small carry round?

Many thanks

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Re: Anyone use the Gransfors small carving axe?

Postby robin wood » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 pm

It's a good axe, it is the same as the wildlife hatchet but with a nice carved beech handle. Some prefer a heavier axe some prefer lighter. This is a good weight for spoons or if you are not used to heavy work. If you are strong and do other larger work like bowls a heavier axe moves wood faster.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks Robin

I have the Swedish carving axe but have started working a bit more with youth development services and the teenagers aren't quite strong enough to wield an axe for any length on time. I also fancy using it myself stowed away in my luggage when we go on family holidays!

Would you recommend the symmetrical grind as the most versatile?

Thanks again.

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby Paul Thornton 2sheds » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm

Working with youth & if buying several axes I would look for good quality second hand Kent pattern axes "boot sale" finds or similar
learning more every day
Paul Thornton 2sheds
Regular

Postby robin wood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:40 am

if you have plenty of money a set of symmetrical grind small carving axes or wildlife hatchets are good. If you don't then making up a set from old axe heads is far cheaper and good fun.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Careful, the Gransfor's large carving hatchet has a 1lb(/448g) head, the same weight as the Wildlife hatchet.
http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/ ... a33f3f0989
http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Pr ... ng%20Axes/
The Gransfor's small carving hatchet's head is only 12oz/336g - that is quite light. Looks like the small carving hatchet probably has the same head as Gransfor's Mini axe:
Middle 2 axes, Wildlife & Mini:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87131

Brades Criterion 312 (similar size to Gransfor Bruks Wildlife hatchet & Large carving hatchet)
BTW I recently bought a nice, tiny, old English hatchet (a Brades Criterion 312) that is comparable in size & weight to the Wildlife hatchet. It weighs 600g including handle; I figure a handle must weigh 100-200g. Both also have slim blades/bits and 3" cutting edges (although I would guess that the Wildlife's blade/bit will probably be a tad slimmer/flatter, Gransfors usually are).
Heck, just noticed a polish-up Brades 312 just fetched £54 on ebay - pretty much the same price as a new Gransfor Bruks Wildlife hatchet! The Brades is a sweet little axe, as my wife just pointed out :) But mine (below) is black, used & is stamped differently
Image Image
Last edited by ToneWood on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:42 am, edited 11 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Looks like it has great size to weight ratio.

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby Shankar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 am

It's a good axe if like me you have not sufficient strength in your axe hand/arm or have small hands.

I have the GB large carving axe (RH) which I like but can only use for 2-3 minutes before having to stop- and that is using half way down the handle as I don't feel I have control taking a full swing.

With the GB small carving axe (centre ground) the handle is also slightly thinner so I feel the grip is safer and I can take larger swings. (I have to be more cautious about keeping my right leg out of the way though) I can work for 10 minutes at a time before tiring. So paradoxically I am probably faster with it than with the large carving axe. The shape of the handle with the knob at the end has a nice secure feel in the hand. Oddly I might return to the large carving axe later where I have to take smaller chips off as gravity and longer slicing edge might do most of the work.

I think there is not just the right axe for the right job but also right axe for the right person as we are not all built like Popeye.

Shankar
Shankar
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 am

FYI I tried my little Brades Criterion 312 axe [see image above] last week for some "delicate axe work" (!). It worked well, the head is good but the handle, which appears to be original, is really very slim/narrow, way too small for me (glove size: large) - might suit somebody with very small hands I suppose, possibly a young child(?!). I didn't like it, prefer my 600g LCA (Lidl carving axe).
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Tools