Finnish Axes - Need Help Finding One Please!!!

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Finnish Axes - Need Help Finding One Please!!!

Postby David Sims » Thu May 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Hey everyone. I am trying to figure out how to buy a few Finnish axes specifically like the Kellokoski, Mariefors, Billnas brands axes in the 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 13, 14, model style. I have been interested in these for a few years now but they never come on the market here. When I look at Huuto.net I find then for 10€ to 30 € which seems like a good buy. However, I would try to bid on one but I cannot figure out how to do it as I only speak English.

One of the reasons I want to get at least one of these is that I would like to try to make a small run of this style of axe. I have a machine shop and small blacksmith shop and have several friends with large commercial blacksmithing shops where I would be able to reproduce this axe. However it would be a huge help to have one in my hand so I can study it and see how it should be made.

If anyone knows how to purchase from this auction site or has any leads where to buy one of these please let me know. I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Dave
David Sims

Re: Finnish Axes - Need Help Finding One Please!!!

Postby gavin » Fri May 15, 2015 8:12 am

I can only suggest you try www.peopleperhour.com to recruit some Finnish-English speaking person to bid for you.
I hear good reports of this site and I have not used it. In any event your downside risk is small.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Billman » Fri May 15, 2015 3:11 pm

For foreign sites I use Google translate to get the gist of the website, then create an account (often this is done using a sub-programme that runs in English anyway) - then bid and wait and see what happens... I use Google translate to write simple (baby talk) sentences to send, and to translate the gist of the replies I get - there is the occasional misundtestanding, but often the seller also speaks English anyway.... For payment I use Paypal, although I did set up a Payson account - now I tend to ask for the sellers IBAN or BIC and use Transferwise - it's so much simpler.... So far 100% success rate....

Alternatively PM Witt and ask him for help - he has friends in Scandinavia, and speaks good English.....
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby David Sims » Tue May 19, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks guys. I signed up for an account on Huuto, but haven't received the email confirmation yet.

I will keep trying. I also sent Witt a message.

Thanks,
Dave
David Sims

Postby witt » Wed May 20, 2015 6:45 am

If you cannot get your account activated at Huuto, I can bid for you on such an axe. Be prepared to pay quite a lot of money for the shipping cost, Finnish post is not cheap.
witt
Regular

Postby Don Wagstaff » Tue May 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Well, here we are, back together again, tres hombres, finding ourselves meeting up on-line, after all these years and a bit further down that rocky road, having passed this and that mile stone in the mean time, in this place once more, brought in line by a common interest and love for the axes out of Scandinavia in particular the kirves, axes of Finland, so how about that.

Look Sims, the Finnish folk are by and large the beneficiaries of a fine and well funded education system and are among other things on the whole pretty fine people with better english skills than many a native speaker. Make your bid but above all find a way to make direct email contact and you are likely to meet with success in getting your grubby hands on a Billnäs 12, 1211 or any of the common types you like. The one "cisco" will be able to help you I am confident.
Don Wagstaff
Regular

Postby Billman » Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 pm

I've generally found Finnish sellers very helpful, although the Huuto site sends its automated messages out in Finnish, so you need to be able to copy into Google Translate to get the gist of the meaning.... Postage is very steep, I was quoted over 24 euros for a small hand axe....
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby Don Wagstaff » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 am

I'm here in Oostrum at the Tichelwei 1

looks like [url]this https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Meubel ... 4d6.060372[/url]
Don Wagstaff
Regular

Return to Tools