Some more old tools

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Some more old tools

Postby Billman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Not posted for a while, and it seems no-one else has done much on tools recently, so a few images of some tools I've acquired in the past few months...

The two large froes are 'départoirs de tavillionneurs' - shingle splitting (usually in larch) from the Savoie region of France - the large handled Auvergne pattern axe is stamped OPINEL. Joseph Opinel (1872 to??) as well as his brother, Jean (1877 to1943) were taillandiers in, or near, the village of St Jean de Maurienne in Savoie (as were their father, Daniel, and grandfather, Victor-Amédée, in Albiez-le-Vieux en Maurienne ) - Joseph created the famed Opinel knife, Jean joined him some years later - Jean's old forge is now the site of the Opinel museum in St Jean de Maurienne
Attachments
PB200004 small web.jpg
Misc French tools
PB200004 small web.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
PB200003 small web.jpg
Slovenian axes
PB200003 small web.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
Last edited by Billman on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Re: Some more old tools

Postby monkeeboy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks for that, very interesting.
What do you actually do with all these though Billman?
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby anobium » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Could the lower object in the second photo be a 'coupe marc'?
Monkeeboy, blokes don't need to do anything with their tools, just own them; like women own many clothes and shoes but rarely wear them.
anobium
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:18 pm

He who dies owning the most tools wins.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby Billman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:20 am

Half the fun is in going out and finding the tools, saving them from the scrap man in some cases... Next comes the restoring, rehandling, refurbishing etc - but I'm a bit remiss in this area at the moment... I also display them when I can, e.g. steam rallies, write about them or give talks.... Occasionally I use them..

Ref the large blade, it may be a coupe marc - the shape is right, but the handle is offset, which is unusual, and most coupes marc have a longer, usually socketed handle - so for now it remains a mystery tool...
Billman
Regular

Postby Billman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:26 am

The forum seems dead at this time of the year - maybe everyone's out cutting wood while the sap is down.... Anyway, thought I'd wish anyone who is still looking a Happy New Year and post a few more pictures.... This time some Bulgarian billhooks (koser) - some already arrived, some in transit (I hope).... I have to keep buying the duplicates as the seller occasionally comes up with something really different...
Attachments
BG 13.jpg
Different shapes - pending arrival 2016
BG 13.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
bg 09 edit.jpg
Pending arrival 2016
bg 09 edit.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
BG 04.jpg
Arrived 2015
BG 04.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
Billman
Regular

Postby Simon Hartley » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Some of the double-edged billhooks look really interesting; a bit like an extreme version of a Staffordshire.

I have a new tool from Bulgaria: a really narrow curved adze. The handle is oak; an odd choice.

Also from Eastern Europe is an antique side axe with curious punched decorations. It's from Hungary, but posted from Austria. The Austro-Hungarian Empire lives yet!

Pictures when I get around to it.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby Billman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Styria in south east Austria, on the border with Slovenia and Hungary was the edge tool making region... The same styles of axe are found in all three countries... Punched decoration was common, and there have been several books written in German and Hungarian on the religious meanings of the decorations. This type of decoration is also found in many Alpine countries: Italy, France and Germany, as well as in the east, e.g. Bulgaria and Romania...

The Bulgarian billhooks above are variations on the vine pruning hooks found in many European countries (but not in the UK where wine production only made a comeback in the late 20th century, by which time the secateurs - invented c 1830 - had become the pruning tool of choice). Here's one I haven't bought, at 40 euros too expensive for me, but probably actually worth it.... it's nicely decorated..
Attachments
BG 16.jpg
ex BG at 40 euros
BG 16.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
Billman
Regular

Return to Tools