Drill Bit extension

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Drill Bit extension

Postby Stanford Peverill » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Can any please recommend a good reliable make of a drill bit extension for my brace and.....bit!!!
Cheers
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Re: Drill Bit extension

Postby gavin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:39 am

Are there 3 or 2 jaws in your brace's chuck?
2 Jaws will work with a tapered-shank bit.
3 Jaws work with a hex-shank bit.

You will certainly try putting a hex bit it a 2-jaw brace and it will work for long enough for you to think my remarks ill-informed.
But then the shank will start to slip, so damaging both jaws and shank. I strongly recommend marrying the bit's shank to the correctly-profiled jaws.

I recently bought a 3 jaw brace for £60 which I thought extortionate BUT because modern hex-shank bits can be used with it I reckon now it is good value. And you can get extension bars for modern bits. You cannot for tapered shanks.

Veritas do sell an extender that marries their hex-shanked tenon cutters to the a 2-jaw brace. So it has a female hex space and a tapered male shank. it is approx 3 " long.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: Drill Bit extension

Postby Stanford Peverill » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Gavin, your advice is not ill informed as I have a two jaw brace and it shank in the extension I use is slipping already and I guess if I keep using it the shank will no doubt round off on my hex shank. Thank I will bear your comments in mind and perhaps invest in a more quality set up. Thanks for the help
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Return to Tools