Sawhorse

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Sawhorse

Postby Frudd » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:07 am

I need a sawhorse. My chopping block is too unstable and my folding 'workmate' bench is too flimsy. I have a large crosscut saw but I cant really use it to its full potential without a better way of holding the logs. All of the videos on youtube are for either for a woodworking sawhorse, basically a low bench you can get your knee on, or to hold a log while cutting with a chainsaw. Does anyone have any designs/pictures of a suitable sawhorse?
Frudd
Regular

Re: Sawhorse

Postby Simon Hartley » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm

If you can spare the space, the best thing I can suggest is to build an X-framed horse, but with the posts embedded in the ground. You'd probably need about a foot of wood in the ground to withstand the forces exerted by vigorous sawing.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby Frudd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:30 am

Yes, that would be ideal. Unfortunately I dont have the space for that. I might just have to build something a bit wobbly and have the kids sit on it!
Frudd
Regular

Postby woodness sake » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 pm

woodness sake
Regular

Postby Simon Hartley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

An interesting idea for a mini horse, but rather puzzling, as it would have to be used from a kneeling position to avoid striking the saw on the ground.

If space is at a premium, would it be possible to mount the horse on a platform which you would stand on? It would therefore be braced by your weight, not the kids', so they could get back to their smartphones. :) Attaching the two could be done by screwing short pieces of 2x1" to the platform top, then putting bolts through them and the horse legs. The idea may need a bit of refining, as I have only just thought of it and find computer drawing apps awkward.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby Frudd » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Simon, I cant quite picture what you mean. I have seen a few efforts along the lines of this horse but in all the videos on youtube someone then whips out a chainsaw to show it in action. All well and good but doesnt answer my problem, would it be stable enough to use a large one/two man crosscut with. I think I need to figure out hoe high I want the wood to be sat and do some sketches. Pen and paper obviously, I find it takes ten times longer if I try use technology.
Frudd
Regular

Postby woodness sake » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Went right over the part about the cross cut saw. Generally, this sort of saw is used to cut tree trunks to a more manageable length. If the piece is not large enough to keep its self stable, you might consider looking to a smaller saw.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby Frudd » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:32 am

woodness sake wrote: you might consider looking to a smaller saw.

Smaller saw! never! ;)
I got the big crosscut because I could never get a straight cut through anything bigger than 6" with a bow saw. I have a large Silky now which I havent yet tried with anything really big, the pulling action might be easier to brace on a sawhorse than the whole body pushing action of the crosscut.
Frudd
Regular

Postby ilerner2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkqhJh2wSgM&t=6s

Frudd, have a look at the above video. I have built these and they will surprise you with their stability and versatility when you start realizing just how many options you can make to adapt to these horses and they fold up nicely to hang on a wall out of the way when done what you are doing.

Cheers
ilerner2
Regular

Return to Tools