Shaving horses

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Shaving horses

Postby RichardLaw » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:17 am

gavin wrote:This book The Chairmakers Workshop by Drew Langsner

has designs for a dumb-head shave horse, which I have nearly finished..

I hope the measurements are less misleading than the ones of Drew's that I used from The Workbench Book. It gave the measurement between the underside of the dumbhead and the top of treadle in place of the overall length of that member. The result was a horse that could only be worked with one's knees under one's chin. I had to bolt in an extra 8 inch or so in the middle of the upright member. :-(
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby witt » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:28 pm

which plans of Drew Langsner are you refering to ? the ones adapted from the Swiss cooper's horse Ruedi Kohler ?
witt
Regular

Postby RichardLaw » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 am

witt wrote:which plans of Drew Langsner are you refering to ? the ones adapted from the Swiss cooper's horse Ruedi Kohler ?

Yup, on page 167 in my edition, it shows the arm as 30". This should read 30" plus joints which are about 4" each. It's not as though it's my body measurements either - I'm only 5"9" with fairly proportional leg length (33" inside legs, if you must know)
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby witt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:01 pm

yes, i've got the plans under my eyes and I will certainly take your advice under consideration. Thanks.
witt
Regular

Postby witt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:07 pm

And between us, my measurements "inside legs" is in the average.
witt
Regular

Postby RichardLaw » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Gavin,

Have you tried sitting on yours yet - that arm does look rather short, and you are a big boy, are you not?

Richard, short rhymes with farce.
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 pm

RichardLaw wrote:Gavin,

Have you tried sitting on yours yet - that arm does look rather short, and you are a big boy, are you not?

Richard, short rhymes with farce.

No, I have not sat on the finished article, nor have I set the legs in yet. It is on the list for Xmas solution! I have just been given approx 20 tonnes of firewood :D :D , so I am busy arranging transport & storage for that before someone else gets in and takes it away.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:24 am

gavin wrote:I have just been given approx 20 tonnes of firewood :D :D , so I am busy arranging transport & storage for that before someone else gets in and takes it away.

On my way!
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:50 am

witt wrote:Another Swedish clog-maker, wearing Swedish clogs and maybe even listening to French folk-songs [Les sabots d'Hélène étaient tout crottés ...][/i]
[Image][/img]

Will, I just had to say, the true translation of "crottes" is crappy or mucky, not muddy. I think it may have something to do with the fact that French farmers would drive their cows from pasture through the village to get to their milking stables. And cows being, well, cows, they would do what cows do all over the streets. It would be impossible to walk through the village without stepping into cow pies. I spent many summers with my grandparents in a small village in Lorraine and I can still remember my Mamie telling me "Ne rentre pas dans la maison sans decrotter tes chaussures!" :D Want proof? Just google crotte and see the images and links it brings up! LOL

BTW: Excellent discussion and pictures on shave horses. The sheer number of designs tells me that there is really no "wrong" way to build a horse as long as it holds your work steady and it positions the wood well above the more tender manly regions! :lol: If you are interested in building Brian Boggs shave horse featured in the Wood Wright Shop show mentioned earlier, you can find the plans here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAnd ... x?id=24697 It is free to members.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:43 am

bulldawg_65 wrote: If you are interested in building Brian Boggs shave horse featured in the Wood Wright Shop show mentioned earlier, you can find the plans here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAnd ... x?id=24697 It is free to members.

I thought I'd sign up to get those plans, but the site referred to wants credit card payment details which they would charge in 14 days if you don't cancel. I don't want to play that game. Has any one got the plans they could share here or per Private Message?
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Oops! :oops: I meant to mention that membership costs. Sorry!
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:01 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:Oops! :oops: I meant to mention that membership costs. Sorry!

To be fair, the publisher does give you the chance to try it for 14 days free AND they demand card details up front. For those who don't mind that, BullDawgs link would prove very useful - I have seen a Boggs shavehorse pictured, and it is a fine looking thing indeed.

If any one does get a hold of those Boggs plans, I'd be most interested to see them.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby witt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello there,

Of course, anyone is welcome to correct my english.
Within the source language, the correct use for "crotté," which is a different word than "crotte" : the Littré seems to allow its use for any covered by mud case when it comes to clothes or shoes. Ask the three captains ! I'm not a lexicographer but I think that the question of the use of a word is not often reducible to that of the origin of a word.

"banc d'âne" of different origins, shapes and features, and naturally, plans, yes, that is of interest for me as well.
witt
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Good point Will,

I apologize, I wasn't correcting your english, more like your translation, and like the idiot I am, I broke the word to it's root and used my personal experience with the word to make an entirely incorrect and inappropriate correction. :oops: That will teach me to keep my big mouth shut in the future! (probably not) :) Again I apologize.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby witt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:10 pm

As I live in an old farm building surrended by cows (only neighbours yards around), each time I have to walk outside I feel uncertain about what sort of matter covers my boots, but it certainly get stocked there.
Merry Xmas to all
witt
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Tools