Swedish Axes for Sale

This forum is for folks who sell things say what they sell and where to buy. Use as a 'signpost' not a 'shopfront'. Posting price lists of your wares is not permitted.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Forum rules
No long price lists please.
Conduct negotations 'off forum' via the message system

Swedish Axes for Sale

Postby Billman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi
A French friend of mine is selling two of his hand made Swedish 'Viking Axes' - these are bearded axes type, and they cost him over 250 euros each - he is looking for an offer somewhere over 100 euros each... As I cannot post images that are in my pictures file (or have not yet found out how to do so...) please contact me by PM if you are interested, and I will send my e-mail, and then send images.. Or contact me via my website, http://www.billhooks.co.uk
Last edited by Billman on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Re: Swedish Axes for Sale

Postby robin wood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't think we have rules on how to advertise goods for sale yet but most forums do and I think we should. Standard rules on most forums are that nothing should be advertised as "open to offers" "offers over" etc as this could easily end up in a dutch auction leading to bad feelings. If folks want the max price via auction list it on ebay if they want to offer to friends in the green wood world at a realistic price let us know what the price is.

These are typical forum sales rules from British Blades

Guidelines and Caveats for a successful sale

This is a private, members-only forum for, well, buying, selling & trading stuff with other members. Neither BritishBlades.com, nor any of it's representatives take any responsibility for transactions that go amiss.

The Members Classifieds forum is provided so that individual members can buy, sell or trade their personal possessions with other members. Dealers or Makers, should use the appropriate forums and not the classifieds (unless they are selling an individual pre-owned or used item).

The method of payment or purchase must be agreed privately between the buyer/seller/trader. Obviously, if anyone is found fraudulently representing goods for sale, their membership will be revoked, but that is as much as we can do. It is your responsibility to take whatever steps you need, to ensure the legitimacy of the transaction. BritishBlades is an international website, it is your responsibility to make sure that anything you post for sale or trade conforms to international laws. The buy/sell/trade forum exists for your benefit, please use it responsibly.

Some guidelines that might help things run smoothly:

Seller:

* Make sure your items for sale confirm to UK and International laws.
* Include a full description including condition of the items, be honest, don’t say A1 if it's not - you'll save yourself a headache.
* If possible, attach an *actual* picture of the item, or alternatively a promotional picture or link.
* State clearly the cash amount and currency you would like for the item and state whether or not shipping is included.
* State what payment methods are acceptable.
* As soon as someone shows interest, take it to PM / email and avoid bidding wars on the forum.
* Consider waiting for cheques to clear or payment to arrive before sending the goods.
* To avoid confusion, mark your item as *SOLD* as soon as the transaction is complete.
* BritishBlades.com cannot help you recover cash or goods if the sale does not go smoothly.

Buyer:

* If you have a firm interest in an item, contact the seller directly.
* Ask for clarification if needed.
* Avoid bidding contests.
* If the item is valuable, you may want to consider insisting on paying by crossed cheque only - it's your money.
* It's your responsibility to satisfy yourself that the sale is legitimate.
* BritishBlades.com cannot help you recover cash or goods if the purchase does not go smoothly.

Excessive use of BB code, including size, colour and bold tags will get moderated, as well as excessive use of capitals ...and anything else that is generally tacky and awful.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Billman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Apologies if I have opened a can or worms, but I thought a member may be interested in obtaining a bargain....

He tried to post them on eBay.fr, but they rejected his description saying they fell ouside of their terms of reference (c.f. trying to sell any knives on eBay.co.uk) - but there were (are) other edged tools for sale including axes.... I had similar problems a few years ago trying to buy billhooks on ebay.fr - I could see the items for sale, but every time I tried to get to the details pages ebay.co.uk prevented me from accessing the French site... But curiously not for all items - only some.... Fortunately I have had no problems since...
Billman
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:07 pm

I might be interested in a bargain if they are but I don't know what the price is, can you tell me?
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby forestwalker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 am

I'm kind of interested too, depending on price and which ones they are (but only in one of them if so).
People are often reluctant to make what they can buy for themselves... (Jeff Wagner)
http://www.hunter-gatherer.org/blog/
forestwalker
Regular

Postby Billman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 am

Billman wrote:please contact me by PM if you are interested, and I will send my e-mail, and then send images.. Or contact me via my website, http://www.billhooks.co.uk
Billman
Regular

Postby HughSpencer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 pm

I think Robin's 'guidelines' are eminently sensible and so I'm happy to adopt them.

I don't comprehend Ebay attitude to blades etc.. Unlike in the UK countryside every Frenchman I ever met in the Dordogne carried an Opinel as a matter of course. Just as most schoolboys used to carry a penknife in this country. However, this will turn into a rant if I'm not careful and the thought police will lock me up.
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Postby witt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:37 pm

Hello,

My apologies, I've posted the tools to sell on the wrong threads I'm afraid.
And thank you, bill, it has been most kind of you.
Otherwise if I can help anyone with translations for tools or wood names I'll gladly do it.

The French man
witt
Regular

Return to Traders Corner