Wanted - new or 2nd hand Hook/Crook/Spoon Knife

This forum is for folks who sell things say what they sell and where to buy. Use as a 'signpost' not a 'shopfront'. Posting price lists of your wares is not permitted.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Forum rules
No long price lists please.
Conduct negotations 'off forum' via the message system

Wanted - new or 2nd hand Hook/Crook/Spoon Knife

Postby louvres » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm

I have a shoestring budget and am looking for a spoon carving knife. I do not have a forge so probably cannot make my own, though I thought about bending a normal knife but do not have any that suitable. If anyone has such a knife that they might want to sell or knows where I could pick one up cheaply I would be very interested. Though the mora/frost knives used to be very cheap most places are quite expensive nowadays. I would be interested in any one, doesnt have to look great as long as the blade is in very good condition. I am right handed.

thank you for reading.
louvres
Regular

Re: Wanted - new or 2nd hand Hook/Crook/Spoon Knife

Postby JonnyP » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm

There is a fred on here somewhere showing how to make one from a jigsaw (or something like that) blade.
JonnyP
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Found it.. Hope it helps :0) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2114
JonnyP
Regular

Postby louvres » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Ah yes thanks, I've come across that before, but not sure if it would work out cheaper then buying a blade, I see the thread maker could get them extremely cheap, here they are unfortunately quite expensive (just the top brands) :(
louvres
Regular

Postby toscano » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Is the Frost/Mora 164 too expensive for your budget? it's about 15 quid, from what I remember. It's the cheapest spoon knife I know of, but it needs a little bit of modification to work best.

Toscano
toscano
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

You don't really need a jig saw blade, any good steel will work, and with a blow torch (or even your kitchen oven) you could anneal it and temper as you wish. Have a look around a junk yard or a yard sale for any good bit of metal. Also you might have a look at this: http://www.caribooblades.com/makingahook.html They list some materials and process you really don't need, so don't be afraid to skimp or modify the directions.

If the professional made knives are too expensive, have a look at internet retailers, a second hand one on Ebay should be fairly cheap.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby louvres » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 pm

ok thank you very much, this could help a lot.

Edit: hey toscano, just saw your message missed it at first. I actually would like the 164, but with p&p most places arent actually that cheap. And I heard some people have trouble reprofiling them as they at first have a secondary bevel. It is an option though, as I wonder how good I could make a spoon knife myself, do not want to make a terrible one and put myself off spoon making.

Ive seen a ready made spoon knife blade for sale for quite cheap: http://www.springfields.co.uk/bushcraft ... blade.html

But the tang is so short, im worried about getting it secure in the handle, would mean buying epoxy too. I have a little bit of epoxy type putty but I think its the wrong type.
louvres
Regular

Postby robin wood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 am

louvres wrote:ok thank you very much, this could help a lot.

Edit: hey toscano, just saw your message missed it at first. I actually would like the 164, but with p&p most places arent actually that cheap. And I heard some people have trouble reprofiling them as they at first have a secondary bevel. It is an option though, as I wonder how good I could make a spoon knife myself, do not want to make a terrible one and put myself off spoon making.

Ive seen a ready made spoon knife blade for sale for quite cheap: http://www.springfields.co.uk/bushcraft ... blade.html

But the tang is so short, im worried about getting it secure in the handle, would mean buying epoxy too. I have a little bit of epoxy type putty but I think its the wrong type.

That blade is 1.25mm thick, it is too thin and flexible to work well, you want at least 2mm. Old saw blades are good (not modern hard point saws the sort of old saws you find in grandads shed)
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby toscano » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am

21pounds (including shipping) is the best price I have found on the Mora here: http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/ ... ucts_id=27
You are right about it needing a bit of modification to work well. Robin Wood has a recent post on his blog about spoon knife options and he talks a bit about the issues with the Mora164.

For cheaper than that, it'll have to be self-made I think and the tutorial above offers a good way (though I would place the bevel on the outside).

good luck with it,
Toscano
toscano
Regular

Postby louvres » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 am

robin: I see thanks for the advice.

toscano: I know of that shop yes, it is still an option I will consider. Thanks for the tips.
louvres
Regular

Postby TonyH » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am

I made my own:

My grandpa's shed did not have any saw blades 2mm thick - more like 0.8mm, so for the blade, I bought some ground flat stock - it is O1 tool steel, and cost £7.50 for 1/2" x 1/16" x 18" (Cromwell Industrial tools), which will make a few spares. Easy to get hot enough wiith a plumber's blowlamp, I bent it round a suitably sized bit of round bar (actually a tractor rear linkage pin). The handle is turned from some cherry.

As you can see, it works - whether it works as well as a "proper" one I don't know. You may also see that it is a left handed one when I meant to make a right handed :oops: - I now have a matching pair - good job O1 comes in 18" lengths !
TonyH
Regular

Postby louvres » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:04 am

Hi, very nice knife! You did a great job with it, how did you mount the blade into the handle? is that brass fitting a special fitting to mount it onto the handle?

Can you also use this 'silver steel' they sell? Wonder what the difference is, sure I heard of someone mentioning spoon knives made of silver steel.
louvres
Regular

Postby TonyH » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am

I used Ground flat stock, which is O1 oil-hardening, the packet had a table of temperature/hardness for tempering. Silver steel is usually round bar, and is water hardening.

The ferrule is a bit of brass tube, cut with a plumber's pipe cutter. The blade has a tang, maybe 1 1/4" long. To fit the handle I first sawed a slot in the end that the ferrule goes over, then used some unusually long 2mm drills I have to drill a chain of holes to make a deeper slot in the bottom of the kerf for the tang. I tapped the blade in, then knocking the ferrule home grips it nicely.
TonyH
Regular

Postby louvres » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 am

ok great, that helps a lot. I appreciate the tips. Great job.
louvres
Regular

Postby Jane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am

Hello louvres,
I got a mora 164 from Ronnie Sunshines, It cost £18.84, £15.99 for the knife and £2.85 for the postage. The postage is the same even if you order more stuff as well and he sends things out very quickly. You also get points (47 for the crook knife), and every 100 points gives you £1 off another order. I know there are better knives available but for me this has been a good starter knife, it arrived nice and sharp, just needed the pointy end of the knife filing a bit flat as it pokes into wood and fingers otherwise. (no, I don't work for Ronnie Sunshines :lol: )
Jane

Next

Return to Traders Corner