Wanted - new or 2nd hand Hook/Crook/Spoon Knife

This forum is for folks who sell things say what they sell and where to buy. Use as a 'signpost' not a 'shopfront'. Posting price lists of your wares is not permitted.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Forum rules
No long price lists please.
Conduct negotations 'off forum' via the message system

Re: Wanted - new or 2nd hand Hook/Crook/Spoon Knife

Postby ToneWood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 pm

BTW I like the handle on the 105 but if you don't you could always modify it or carve your own. The 105, 106 & 120 blades are held in their respective handles by a long metal C-clip - there is an article on the bushcraft forum about his. Didn't sound worthwhile to me (I like all the Mora handles I have used) but then I saw Jogge's book which has some inspiring handle designs, e.g.:

Image Image
http://www.northhouse.org/courses/cours ... fm/cid/295

For a sheathless Mora 105, you could make one of those springy birch bark sheaths shown above or make a sheath out of leather.
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby mstibs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Golra Tools seems to be a pakistani company. Hard to find dealers here in Germany, I guess I'll find none. Some of their product pictures on alibaba.com look promising.
http://www.golratools.com/
Cheers!
STIBS
Saxons. Were good wood-turners, they had to be because they were poor potters...from "A Short History of Woodturning with the Pole-lathe" by Brian G. Howarth; My bilingual (de/en) Blog: http://mstibs.wordpress.com
mstibs
Regular

Postby louvres » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 pm

ToneWood: Ok, maybe it could help grip a bit to carve the handles not sure. Those are nicely carved though, I like how those handles were carved.
louvres
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:16 am

To me, carving handles seems like the worst idea possible. Seems like a sure fire way to blister your hand to pieces. Certainly, it would heal and the skin would harden (might not win you any beauty awards...) but it would be a painful few days and wouldn't encourage you to carve much. I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), and the professionals seem to do it, but I would not. Ever. I have never had a problem with my grip on my knives.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:36 pm

You may well be right. As I said previously, the standard Mora handles are very good. I think Jogge's handles (above) are mainly decorative - they look great & exhibit Jogge's distinctive style - and functional rather than being particularly ergonomic but two of the the first things I carved were a billhook handle and a fish-slice (long spatula) specifically to fit my hand and I still get a real kick out of using them.

Just noticed this: Mora 106 on Amazon for £15 + £3 shipping (if you don't mind Amazon not paying UK taxes :( ).
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby louvres » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 pm

haha, ok thank you that is another good option.
louvres
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 pm

AlexanderTheLate wrote:To me, carving handles seems like the worst idea possible. Seems like a sure fire way to blister your hand to pieces. Certainly, it would heal and the skin would harden (might not win you any beauty awards...) but it would be a painful few days and wouldn't encourage you to carve much. I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), and the professionals seem to do it, but I would not. Ever. I have never had a problem with my grip on my knives.

We are all different. It seems a good idea to me because my hands are so dry I sometimes have trouble gripping things. Some of my axes have had there handles roughed up with a rasp so I can grip them better
JonnyP
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Something to think about. I just looked at the chip carving and thought how similar the dips and raises were to sand paper.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Some more handcrafted handles that caught my eye:
http://www.craftart.se/
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon May 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Came across this interesting looking knife,"Mora Carver's Narrow Hook Knife - Right Handed": http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Ca ... /108-0171/
Haven't seen it for sale in the UK. Looks quite promising & reasonably priced too: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Ca ... /108-0171/
It looks like one of the traditional Native American "pull knives".

BTW I dropped my Mora 106 sloyd knife recently & damaged the tip :(. I re-ground it and it is now significantly shorter - but I find that suits me very well :). I always felt the 106 was "dangerously" long & found the 120 "dangerously" short for my tastes (although I have come to terms with the 120 now and use it only for tasks that benefit from the smaller blade). I still have a 105 if I need the full 106 length (+ a Mora Clipper) but actually, the shortened 106 can comfortably do pretty much everything the 105 & 120 can do. Having seen pictures of Wille's 106s, ground down to a sliver of blade presumably ground down by decades of use - I am not particularly concerned about the loss of metal ;)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 am

How is it used? You cannot use it like a crooked knife (pull-knife, as you called it), of if you did it would be difficult, and as a hook, it looks like the blade is offset a smidgin, just enough to make it hard to use as a regular hook. It looks almost like a farrier's knife. the web page says it can be used either hand as a pushing/ pulling cut, which seems to me a bit obvious, and not particularly helped by the handle shape.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby Heinrich H » Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 am

Heinrich H
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I wonder if the Native American hook knives were originally based on/developed from farriers' knives? I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that they didn't have iron/steel until the Europeans came. Of course, it may just be something they came up with themselves.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Steve Martin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:17 am

Alexander, you may find Robin Woods blog helpful on how to use that knife -
http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2 ... nives.html

Also - Tonewood - can't answer question about NW Indians developing crook knives from farrier knives but they had awesome adzes made from stone or bone. When metal became available, they adapted but I use one of the Kestrel adzes for bowl work and it is awesome.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:23 pm

But that is not a crook knife. :) It would be painful to use like one I would think.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Traders Corner