Turning saw blades wanted

This forum is for folks who sell things say what they sell and where to buy. Use as a 'signpost' not a 'shopfront'. Posting price lists of your wares is not permitted.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Forum rules
No long price lists please.
Conduct negotations 'off forum' via the message system

Turning saw blades wanted

Postby jon g » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Does anyone know where I can get any 16" blades for my turning saw ? I have tried lots of places and have found 12" ones but not 16", and do not want to cut the frame down to suit.. Do I have no choice but to find old bandsaw blades of about 10TPI and cut and drill it.
Any leads would be most welcome.
Jon G
jon g

Re: Turning saw blades wanted

Postby gavin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:14 am

It's really easily done.
If you are struggling I can make you some, but it ain't rocket science.
I think there are other postings here on how to do it. You must heat the end part you will drill red hot and let it cool slowly to anneal i.e. soften it. Then you drill.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

Postby SeanHellman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 am

A great german store sells them, I have ordered from them before. http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/712971/Frame-Saw-Blade-Turbo-Cut-400-Universal.htm
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.

Postby jon g » Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Thank you both.
I shall order some and find some old bandsaw blade as it comes along.
Please note I am new to the forum but not new to the APT having been a member for most of the last 20 years.
jon g

Postby ToneWood » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Please don't cut down a 16" saw! 12" saws are common but other sizes, especially larger ones are less so. I'd like a larger bow saw - if you want to swap for a 10" one with a blade (vintage or new) let me know, I have 2.

You can make your own saw blades from band-saw blades - I'm not very handy like that but Gavin, Sean, jrrcaim & co. managed to guide me through the process on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2228&hilit=band+saw+TPI&start=15

The process was liberating: from frustrated hunting high & low for decent, affordable blades (few and far between) to being able to make your own, cheaply, at will, with whatever TPI/dimensions your prefer. Some use old bandsaw blades, I bought a new bandsaw blade from ebay for about £5 and was able to make 5 blades (12" & 10") from it :). I choose to make slim 10 TPI blades, so that my saws could act as turning saws - cutting shapes out like a coping saw - you might prefer a slightly deeper blade for a 16" span. The 10 TPI blades I made are slimmer, shallower, more flexible/less rigid that the original 8 TPI blades they replaced - the reduced rigidity requires that the saw be well tensioned when used. Unsurprisingly, the new blades cut quicker, cleaner and easier than the coarse old vintage blades. I think 10 TPI suits smaller saws, 12" and less (particularly 10" & 8" saws). For the 12" saw, I think the original 8 TPI worked quite well too (and I managed to find a replacement for it, if I ever want to go back toa stiffer 8 TPI). For a 16" saw (or 12" saw), I think you might benefit from a slightly stiffer/deeper/heavier/coarser blade - others can probably give better guidance on specifics.

Return to Traders Corner