I have been given some Logs, but before I do anything with it except the log burner, I would like to be able to identify it for safe spoon N bowls etc, Can you help me please, would hate to poison someone with a spoon I have made.... the cut wood has a strange smell a mix between strong spice / Curry and a slightly acrid chemical smell.
If memory serves me right , I think it was in leaf all year round, do you think it is Lime or Laurel...... hope you all don't mind me asking just would the to poison someone or myself....If anyone is near king's Lynn Norfolk I cold show you, and if ok you are welcome to have some.
Looks like it might be Laurel. If it is a true Laurel ( Laurelus Nobilus ) this is also known as Bay. Bayleaves are used in cooking. Crushing a leaf, dry or fresh will produce a pungent odour. I'd be happy making spoons out of Bay.
If it is false Laurel it won't have the same smell (you can buy dried bayleaves in the supermaket to compare). The leaves of mountain laurel and cherry laurel are poisonous so it might be best to avoid if you cannot positively identify it as Bay.
From the first photo, I reckon it is Euonymus japonicus, the Japanese Spindle. It is evergreen and the arrangement of the tiny flowers/fruit is quite distinctive. Not poisonous, but if the wood is as hard as the European species, then good luck carving a spoon out of it.