Black Poplar

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Black Poplar

Postby Frudd » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks to Ophelia I have aquired a Black Poplar branch. I was wondering if anyone has any experience/tips on using it.
Frudd
Regular

Re: Black Poplar

Postby woodness sake » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Found this-
"Black poplar wood is fine textured, soft and almost white in colour. It resistant to shock, and traditional uses therefore included carts, floorboards and clogs. It was also used to make matches. Today, black poplar timber is used to make artificial limbs, wine cases, pallets, shelving and toys."
Does not seem to be of much use for fine work. Reminds me of red maple which is good for rail road ties and swamp mats for driving heavy equipment into wetland areas. I have found that red maple turns well but does not finish well in that there are always a few stray "hairs" that won't clean up, even with the sharpest tools.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby Frudd » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks. So far the one bit I have tried has worked ok. The first thing I noticed was that it has the thickes bark I have ever seen, a branch with a diameter just over 5" had bark almost 1/2" thick. The second thing I noticed was that is is incredibly wet. I will post an update when I have done a bit more with it.
Frudd
Regular

Postby Simon Hartley » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Willows and poplars have a very high moisture content when green, the reduction in weight when seasoned is remarkable. Not that strong, but very resistant to splintering, which is why it is used for toys. Also takes nails well without splitting.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Return to Materials knowledge