What wood is best used for hot liquids..?

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: What wood is best used for hot liquids..?

Postby paul atkin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:51 pm

My tea mug has been in use for ten years, it was treated with about six coats of Junkers worktop oil then treated again with several coats of chestnut food safe finish no problems to date, made from beech
mug.JPG
mug.JPG (118.34 KiB) Viewed 10474 times
http://paulatkin.co.uk/

{the one with the pole of glee} morrigan 2008
paul atkin
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Do you pour boiling water straight into it Paul..? Or are you using a tea pot or flask..?
Thanks for posting that :D
JonnyP
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 pm

JonnyP wrote:Do you pour boiling water straight into it Paul..? Or are you using a tea pot or flask..?

milk tea bag and sugar poor boiling water on top, i use the same mug to drink from all the time, wine cider ect
http://paulatkin.co.uk/

{the one with the pole of glee} morrigan 2008
paul atkin
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:05 pm

paul atkin wrote:
JonnyP wrote:Do you pour boiling water straight into it Paul..? Or are you using a tea pot or flask..?

milk tea bag and sugar poor boiling water on top, i use the same mug to drink from all the time, wine cider ect

Love it.. Thats just what I want.

Thanks for all the help guys :D
JonnyP
Regular

Postby TonyT » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I have successfully made end grain hollowed, pith included mugs from Ash, Silver Birch and Sycamore.

As for sealing the inside, I was told Tung nut oil was the way to go, but having experimented I found that after several weeks of curing, I still ended up with nutty tea! :)
I am told if I left it for 3 months, it would be fully cured and able to take whatever I might want to drink from it, but I am just not that patient. :)
T

Edited to add
Following Paul's recommendation, I have just bought some Junkers worktop oil to have a go with.
TonyT
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 pm

TonyT wrote:I have successfully made end grain hollowed, pith included mugs from Ash, Silver Birch and Sycamore.

As for sealing the inside, I was told Tung nut oil was the way to go, but having experimented I found that after several weeks of curing, I still ended up with nutty tea! :)
I am told if I left it for 3 months, it would be fully cured and able to take whatever I might want to drink from it, but I am just not that patient. :)
T

Edited to add
Following Paul's recommendation, I have just bought some Junkers worktop oil to have a go with.

I have tung oil and its very good, but like you say, the taste does linger.
I have made me a tea mug. I ended up doing one without a handle like Pauls above. Its well soaked in oil and is in the airing cupboard curing right now.
JonnyP
Regular

Postby TonyT » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:45 pm

After all, what is wrong with nutty tea? :)
T
TonyT
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:01 pm

You must be nuts....

Is there any other way to make wood not split with hot liquids? I do not really want nutty tea, or have to pay for expensive oils. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:13 pm

AlexanderTheLate wrote:You must be nuts....

Is there any other way to make wood not split with hot liquids? I do not really want nutty tea, or have to pay for expensive oils. :)

Nor me.. I am using food grade linseed oil bought from equestrian suppliers and it doesn't smell too bad or cost too bad. I have not done the hot liquid test yet though.. I will report back when its all done... Maybe a while yet, I need to let it cure properly, and maybe another oil soaking..
JonnyP
Regular

Postby TonyT » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 am

I am told Walnut oil will work (which you can get in small quantities from supermarkets - i.e. cheap) - but that it has an even longer curing time than Tung nut oil.
I use Walnut oil in with beeswax to make my polish - which doubles as a lip salve and trebles as a hand moisturiser. (If I polish in the morning before going out to the workshop, it is like barrier cream :) )
T
TonyT
Regular

Postby Shankar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:18 am

Was thinking of how leather vessels are lined- pine tar might be the answer. Not sure of taste and melting point but worth looking into just to seal the bottom end grain. Look at pine tar in Wikipedia. Might even be manufacturable with a sealed biscuit tin with hole in bottom and build a fire on top to heat the birch bark.

Shankar
Shankar
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Birch bark tar:
http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/birchtar.htm

A similar thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1668&hilit=kuksas

The man who knows:

alexyerks wrote:
HECK YA! Hot coffee or birch tea on a daily basis. When I was boiling my wine brew a couple of weeks ago, it fell in the boiling pot for 10 minutes until I realized and pulled her out... she was fine.

Here is a list of trees I prefer in order:

-White/Paper Birch
-River Birch
-Yellow Birch
-Black/Sweet Birch [this stuff is as tough as nails to carve, but it's almost worth it to smell that wintergreen aroma. It really makes some nice tea too.
-Beech
-Maple [a lot of people prefer this, but I get a little annoyed with maple]
-Cherry
-Applewood
-Tulip Poplar

These are what I've personally worked with, but there are a lot more options. Most fruitwoods and hardwoods are great for it. Stay away from the resin/soft grained woods.

Taken from:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1704&hilit=kuksas&start=30
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Well I finished my tea mug ages ago, but it keeps leaking. Its had loads of coats of oil and loads of drying time in between each soaking, but its still leaking in one spot. I am going to leave it soaking for a few weeks now and see if that will sort it.
I still have yet to give it the boiling water test too..

JonnyP
Regular

Previous

Return to Materials knowledge