Using artists oil colours (paints) on wood

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Using artists oil colours (paints) on wood

Postby ToneWood » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Interesting. I think the Holkham Estate, Norfolk, featured on that webpage are quite entrepreneurial, they have their own brand of outdoor clothing too.
ImageHolkham Hall, nice pad, if you like that sort of thing :)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Should have thinned out my oil paints to prevent clogging of the decoration (the oils I use could have been thinned with water):
Painted stuff.jpg
Painted stuff.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

I couldn't find my home-made Kolrosing pen/knife (found it now tho'!), so I used my V-chisel to clear out the detail on the froe-guard. Clearing out the detail left pale yellow wood, which looked a lot better but I decided to try infilling the detail with acrylic paint:
Painted stuff - oil, detail acrylic.jpg
Painted stuff - oil, detail acrylic.jpg (98.37 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 pm

I was just re-reading this thread and re-read this post:
AlexanderTheLate wrote:All right, I did a 'control test'. I had trout plugs (I made plenty, turning them on a pole lathe in an earlier experiment). I painted the wood (Birch) directly with acrylic paint, no primer or gesso. It dried for about a month before the test. Two were oiled with corn oil and two were left unoiled. I scrubbed them with hot, soapy water. The oil made no difference. The paint scraped off, did not smear but loosened enough that a finger nail could remove a small amount of paint.

Just realized that you used corn oil, which is not a drying oil - to really do the experiment properly you'd need to use a drying oil (such as: linseed oil, tung oil, poppy seed oil, perilla oil, and walnut oil) and then give them a lot of time to properly set (e.g. 6 months+ to really set linseed oil).

BTW Do you have any pictures of your plugs? If you make them around 9cm-16cm & ~28g/1oz (range: 10g-70g) you could call them (sea) Bass lures - might open up a whole new market! Bass fishing with lures is pretty popular (although live sandeels probably work better ;)). All sorts of colour combinations sell: Silver/white/pearl are currently popular/fashionable, metallic blue was a few years ago and bronze, some like all black surface lures at dusk, others prefer "fire-tiger" (bright-yellow, orange & green with black stripes) in murky water.
Image Image
I saw a video of somebody carving a fishing lure a long time ago - which I believe is how Swedish lure company Rapala started out, I think lure making is a traditional winter activity there. The lure maker poured molten lead into a hole in the wooden body, to give it some weight (probably unnecessary for trout/river fishing?) - I don't fancy doing that but I suppose you could use old ball-bearings (or lead shot) instead, which would also add a nice rattle to the lure.
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri May 09, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 am

Ah, but we ran through this before, remember?- Corn oil does come under the drying oil classification (based on iodine content), it's just not an ideal oil. In any case, I had to sit down for a spell last time I read the price tag on a bottle of linseed oil- it would be fair cheaper to buy my plugs then make it, if I had to finish it with that stuff.

phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2760

No pictures (I don't actually own a camera, as unbelievable as it may sound in this day and age :oops: . I was going to buy one but needed to sit down again when I read the price tag- see above- my wallet and blood pressure are connected in some way). My idea was to make a few dollars selling lures and that sort of stuff (I also tie a few flies, and always intended to sell some) but the only way to make them efficiently was less then satisfactory (I tried carving them, but the cost in time and band aids really cut into the profit, so I tried turning them on my pole lathe (the cost of a power lathe....), and they all wound up looking like Vienna sausages. So that idea was off.

I wouldn't know a bass lure from a bass guitar, :? we don't get bass unfortunately, I heard some fellows go on about bass fishing- seems like the stuff. Trout is about all you would use a lure for around here, (though I think lures are starting to be used for cod fishing now- jiggers have been banned, sadly) And even that is not all that common.

I don't fancy doing that but I suppose you could use old ball-bearings (or lead shot) instead, which would also add a nice rattle to the lure.

Funny you should mention that, I've been wandering around all over looking for old ball bearings and lead shot :( catapult ammunition, see. I think lead is illegal over here too for use in fishing equipment and fowling (I remember a stir about something a few years back, but I'm not sure) But extra weight is very much needed in the plugs I made- I wound up tieing a few 1/4 inch nuts above and below them- they looked more then a bit queer sitting on the water like they did before, and they flew like a hand full of feathers. I wonder if filling the hole with sand would work? I might knock up one next day or so and see, seeing as trouting has just started up again.

All in all the idea needed more work then I gave it- I really only jumped in feet first, no real thought, I just wanted to keep myself busy for a spell, and he idea of 'a few dollars' in the future was plenty encouragement. Perhaps come winter when I'm on my arse again I'll have another go at it. Ent it grand? I only start thinking about stuff like this when I haven't got the time to really go at it. :roll:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Previous

Return to Materials knowledge