Help needed to ID some wood...

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Help needed to ID some wood...

Postby Christophe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 am

Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me what this wood might be?
I thought it might be Sambucus but it is around 20cm/8'' diameter which is rather big for being sambucus...
Thanks.
Attachments
wood.jpg
wood.jpg (119.68 KiB) Viewed 13265 times
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Re: Help needed to ID some wood...

Postby Robin Fawcett » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 am

Willow or Poplar.
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby woodchubber » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 am

Yes, I reckon it's Willow too
jm
woodchubber
Regular

Postby Christophe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks Robin and JM...
Once again, I probably looked for an answer too complicated...the color of the wood (maybe not showing too well on the picture) lead me think of something less common... :oops:
Anyway good enough for practising ;)
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 pm

More than good enough for practising, an easy wood to carve and I have some lovely willow spoons.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Bit late but willow would be my guess too. The light colored wood and the bark color and texture is similar (but not identical) to some of the crack willow I have been carving & burning recently. I haven't worked with poplar though. Willow, at least crack willow, is not the best wood for carving but I managed to carve a couple of bowls and a froe mallet from willow (the mallet was great but not long lasting, it split after a few months).
The bowls are willow, the edge guards are beech & ash.

BTW I thought Sambucus was one of those European aniseed liqueurs but I see that it is another name for elder, which I always think of as a poor quality wood (light, weak, brittle, big soft pith hollow that can harbour bugs, not much heating value and considered unlucky to burn* - although I burn it) but perhaps that is just my ignorance.

*"Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
"
Last edited by ToneWood on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Christophe » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 am

Tonewood,

I did find your post about crack willow, but after asking the question..... :oops:
About sambucus, I also thought it was just used for wind instrument like Slovakian flutes, but the reason I thought it could be it is because the person who gave it too me is surrounding by it, apparently they can grow quite large after some years and the colour of the pit was so reddish that I thought about some kind of fruit tree.....
But willow will do :)
BTW, nice link to the firewood poem...hopefully when you burned your sambucus, death was not around the house!!!
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby anobium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Sambucus nigra AKA elder has, according to H Edlin ( Woodland Crafts in Britain) many uses varying from pea shooters to a substitute for boxwood as old wood is very hard. It can apparently be used as a substitute for ivory or dyed black it serves as ebony. Its uses in making wine and supposed medical benefits are well known.
anobium
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Christophe wrote:...BTW, nice link to the firewood poem...hopefully when you burned your sambucus, death was not around the house!!!
:D Fortunately no correlation. In fact, if anything, an inverse correlation - perhaps I should burn more of it. Burnt some last night, so should be ok for a while.

anobium wrote:Sambucus nigra AKA elder has, according to H Edlin ( Woodland Crafts in Britain) many uses varying from pea shooters to a substitute for boxwood as old wood is very hard. It can apparently be used as a substitute for ivory or dyed black it serves as ebony. Its uses in making wine and supposed medical benefits are well known.
That is interesting and surprising. I will look at elder differently in future. Thanks for sharing that anobium ;)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Christophe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Merci Anobium, I knew that holly was used as a substitute of ivory but sambucus nigra...really nice piece of information, I'll have to find some old one to try.
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 pm

The great feature of Elder is that it has a very pronounced pith, so small diameter wood can be used to make peashooters or whistles. Wild Rose also has a large pith, but seldom grows straight like Elder that has been cut back and regenerated.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Return to Materials knowledge