Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Postby pedder63 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59 pm

I wondered if anyone knew of any uses for green larch? Has anyone any experience of cleaving it, carving it, or doing anything else crafty with it?

Re: larch?

Postby Christophe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi Peter,
I have a piece that I carved into a small soup bowl, unfortunately It cracked during drying (but mainly due to poor storage IMO) I still have the other half that I will use at some point. Easy enough to carve, nice smell, but I don't have any idea how it will age. I can only imagine that it will age nicely due to the fact that it is a tough and waterproof wood.
Hope this help.
Be Water

Re: larch?

Postby Woodyrock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 am

Traditional small boats on the East coast of North America have used Larch (Hackmatock) for knees. The natural bent section of stump/root is where the knees come from. Each root making a pair of knees. In the 70's and 80's I made many small knees from Larch when work was slow in my small boatshop. The hard part was digging the stumps out, and getting them split. If I could catch the logging crew at the right time, they would bulldoze the stump out for me, so long as left beer in the appropriate creek..

Return to Materials knowledge