Birch Heart wood

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Birch Heart wood

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Recently, I have been staggering under the weight of some monster wood. It was about two cord of mainly birch, cut by road builders extending the forestry roads waaay up in the sticks. Most of it is gong to the wood pile, but I have been carving it like mad, Birch is my favourite wood to carve (and the list of hard wood in NL is very limited). Much of the wood is this really red color in the heart. Just out of curiosity, is this very early spalting? Or is this just the color of normal OLD birch heart wood, because most birch wood I have seen, spalted at a much paler color. I must emphasize, this is very old wood (the bark averages 3/4 inch- 1 inch thick) and very big (1.5 feet across the middle, for most of it), I have not seen the like before in such quantity.

I would show a picture, but, being the technological idioit that I am, digital cameras (and scanners!) are a bit beyond me. :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Re: Birch Heart wood

Postby bulldawg_65 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Sounds like yellow birch to me. A friend brought me a few logs of it and I have been carving lots of spoons and such from it. All of it has a nice reddish brown heart wood. Makes for a nice contrast in your carvings. :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Re: Birch Heart wood

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:21 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betula_alleghaniensis

Says it does not grow here....

Does not look like what I have, the bark is a much darker color. Thank you for taking the time though. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Return to Materials knowledge