Olive

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Olive

Postby voodooalpaca » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 pm

I picked up a bit of olive wood, and thought I would try making a spoon. The wood I have is very wel seasoned, and tough as old boots, should I change my plans or do I just have to "man up" and do some sharpening?
Thanks
Phill
voodooalpaca
Regular

Re: Olive

Postby gavin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

Do some sharpening anyways. ( Even better if you have a loupe or any magnification.)

Then, test how well the sharp blades cut, and how much wood falls off the spoon blank from:
    a. your seasoned olive
    b. some fresh-cut softer wood.

Then decide where you want to spend the next 4 hours of your life. After 15 minutes ( and yes, I suggest you set an alarm!) have a cuppa and decide if you want to stick with the decision.

My vote would always be for the softer wood. Potters don't start with bricks, they start with clay.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: Olive

Postby SeanHellman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 pm

I would use a saw. Frame saw or bandsaw, cutting material away with knife and axe is going to hurt. I know lots of people who use seasoned wood to make their spoons and none of them use axe and knife, all use saws and gouges and then :roll: drum sanders etc. Good luck if you go ahead.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Return to Materials knowledge