apple

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

apple

Postby emjay » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 pm

I've come by a large branch of apple. I can just about get a chair seat out of it. Has anyone else used apple? It's heavy and running with sap but I like the colour of it.
Mick
Attachments
DSCN4868 (Small).JPG
DSCN4868 (Small).JPG (47.38 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
emjay
Regular

Re: apple

Postby SeanHellman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Apple is a lovely wood, but I would never go down the root of using such a small bit of wood for a chair seat, it is just not long enough and will split at the ends. You will have to get rid of that shake, by that time the plank will be narrower, and apple usually moves a lot during drying. On air dried wood I usually look at discarding up to 6 inches of wood at either end of the plank.
Make other stuff out of it and buy a dry plank for chair seats. I would say a small chair seat is 15 inches square any smaller and it really becomes uncomfortable. To make planks from logs I would usually use something a minimum of 3 foot long and then stack it up and use it after it has dried a year for every inch thickness.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Brian Williamson » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:51 pm

I fear that Sean is right. As lovely a wood as apple is ( and as nice as it would look on a chair seat), I don't think that you'll be able to get enough width out of your branch. Your tape apears to be measuring over bark, so you'll have to lose that. You'll also have to take a 'plank' off to get rid of the heart, otherwise the seat will simply fall apart.

I'm sitting on a nice little chair that is 14" at its widest. It's fine but a wouldn't want anything smaller and I doubt that you-ll get even 14".

However, it's a lovely piece of wood and, since it's so green, I'd seal the ends quickly to prevent end-checking. Two or three coats of paint or PVA should do the trick. That way you shouldn't lose much length.

After that you'll have to decide how best to show it off. Perhaps a stool as opposed to a chair? You might even get two stool seats out of that thickness, especially if you included a bit of waney edge.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Brian.
http://www.westcountrycoppice.co.uk

undergreenwood.wordpress.com

'Measure twice and cut once'
Brian Williamson
Regular

Postby emjay » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks Sean and Brian. Looks like it might be a couple of stools. I've already roughed out 4 legs from other pieces. Could I dry them in the ingle or would that be too rapid. I dry ash in the ingle by the wood stove and it only takes a few days,I suspect apple would be different. Piece without bark is 14 x 22 inches
Mick
Attachments
DSCN4866 (Small).JPG
DSCN4866 (Small).JPG (51.01 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 am

In spite of good advice from Sean and Brian I gave in to outside pressure to make a chair. It was needed for the ingle of the welsh longhouse where the old apple tree had been a feature in the garden. The seat is 14" deep x 19" wide
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:17 am

Should have been a picture with that last post, I'll try again
Attachments
apchair3.jpg
apchair3.jpg (159.37 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
emjay
Regular

Postby emjay » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:23 am

It did indeed split as Sean said it would but I closed the split to an acceptable level with a sash cramp then held it in place with an oak dowel set diagonaly to the split
Attachments
apchair2.jpg
apchair2.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
emjay
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Well done, lovely chair. Just goes to show that general rules are just general and can be proved wrong. I have made cups with the pith running right through the middle, just to prove that I can do it, that is the pith in the side of the cup not the bottom. Rules also say that a plank will always cup towards the bark but I have seen examples of it doing the opposite.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Return to Materials knowledge