keeping hazel poles green

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

keeping hazel poles green

Postby lee33 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:06 am

Hi all,

I've had a scout around the forum and couldn't find and posts relating to this, but apologises if I'm repeating another's question.

My question is how to stop hazel poles from seasoning on a relatively long term basis. (at least 5 months) or indeed whether this is possible at all?

I was fortunate this year to be given permission to coppice a small patch of hazel. All the cutting was finished at the end of march but now I'm desperately trying to stop the hazel from drying so that I can keep making hurdles etc.

Thanks all in advance, had a great time at the ball on Saturday by the way! So many ideas now!

Lee.
lee33

Re: keeping hazel poles green

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Wax the ends and keep them out of the sun and the wind.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Re: keeping hazel poles green

Postby ToneWood » Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Leaving them soaking in water might work. But you'd need something with a high capacity (e.g. a stream or trough). Failing that, perhaps somewhere damp & shaded - but you might get rot/fungus/mildew. Perhaps just having the bottom ends in a bucket/water butt would help?
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Materials knowledge