Sumac

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Sumac

Postby Simon Hartley » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:56 pm

OK, following on from elder, I have been trying a bit of Stagshorn Sumac (Rhus typhina). First impressions: very lightweight and splintery, also 5" poles develop radial shakes after about 48 hours. Cleaves well, though the cambium bleeds sap like green PVA. On the lathe, it is very fibrous and prone to tearouts.

Sapwood is creamy white with beige growth rings like ash, but the heartwood is an amazing swirl of green, brown and yellow.

Does anyone have experience of sumac with regard to seasoning, and how strong is it?
Simon Hartley
Regular

Re: Sumac

Postby AlanE » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi simon

only experience with staghorn is that the latex is very irritant and can cause blisters , I would recommend letting the wood dry before using .
I would also suggest that you do not use the wood for spoons or bowls .

Alan E
AlanE
Regular

Postby woodness sake » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:00 pm

I made a ball winder (noste pinne) with pole lathe and it turned out well. Sharp tools well applied will deal with tear out.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby Peat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:15 pm

I got my hands on some sumac a few years ago. Can't remember what it was like to work but loved the colour. Amazing iridescent greenish. Theres some photos of spoons I made out of it here: http://ditchfieldcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/sumac-spoons.html
Peat
Regular

Return to Materials knowledge