Why is this forum here

For chair makers world wide to discuss techniques and design of chairs from around the world

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Why is this forum here

Postby HughSpencer » Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 am

Mike Abbott asked if we could have a forum to discuss chairs from around the world. As this will include techniques that may not be green wood working It is located under AOB.
I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from this new forum - just as soon as I've finished reading Mikes new book which he shamelessly plugged at every opportunity for the entire weekend of the 21st Bodger's Ball at Brockhampton. He is forgiven as the book really is an excellent 'how to do it' book with lots and lots of colour photos to illustrate the points being made.
There Mike, free plug :-)
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Re: Why is this forum here

Postby Mike Abbott » Thu May 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks Hugh.
I'm not quite sure why I asked for this link. Having recently had contact with Brian Boggs in the USA, Mas from Japan, Geroen in Belgium and a few Swedes, I liked the idea of keeping in contact. I don't know quite what we want to say or where to say it - here, Facebook, personal e-mails or what. I am fed up trawling through my Facebook site to read lots of stuff, of no interest to me.
there have been various questions on this forum relating to chairs but they are dotted around and I don't often get to see them.
Will I be able to find this thread next time I look?
That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Mike
Mike Abbott
Regular

Postby robin wood » Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Mike Abbott wrote:Thanks Hugh.
I'm not quite sure why I asked for this link. Having recently had contact with Brian Boggs in the USA, Mas from Japan, Geroen in Belgium and a few Swedes, I liked the idea of keeping in contact. I don't know quite what we want to say or where to say it - here, Facebook, personal e-mails or what. I am fed up trawling through my Facebook site to read lots of stuff, of no interest to me.
there have been various questions on this forum relating to chairs but they are dotted around and I don't often get to see them.
Will I be able to find this thread next time I look?
That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Mike

I think Mike the trick is to introduce your foreign friends to the forum, I regularly mention it to folk and many of them become occasional or regular posters here. Peter Follansbee has posted some fascinating stuff here. I'll mention it to Masashi it would be the perfect way for him to keep in touch with the green wood community here.

There is an easy way to find stuff here and not miss things, each time you come here click the "view new posts" tab just above the main message board. presto, there is everything that has been said since you were here last time, if you pop by every day there will one or two posts, if you pop by once a week there will be a page full but you can easily scan to see if there is anything that might interest you in a few seconds.

The other great thing about the forum for folk who get lost of emails asking the same questions is simply point them here, chances are the question has been answered here many times before. If not someone will be along to answer soon. If it is a new one and you answer it here then it is in the public domain and you never need to answer it again.

A visit here is far better than facebook, none of the day to day trivia, just a bunch of woodworking anoraks. Where else can you show a picture of your newly refurbished axe and get nothing but warm words of encouragement.

By the way did I hear you had a new book out?

PS Hugh should we call it "international exchange" rather than chairmakers exchange? My Japanese friend Tomio posts here sometimes but we are bowlturners, Peter Follansbee does lots beside chairs etc. Having said that we actually have quite a number of regular contributers from the US, I am not sure there is need for a specific part of the furum, international folk can join in and contribute to any topic quite happily as it is.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby HughSpencer » Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm

I can change the name, Mike asked for a Chairmakers forum for exchange of ideas internationally.
Anyone else care to comment?

International Exchange for Woodworking Ideas - anyone come up with a snappier title?

BTW, I told the Japanese cormorant fisherman story to someone at the HCA Skills Forum and she said to contact her with a view to funding someone learning how to make the cages.
Victoria Churchward of QEST (Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust). She didn't seem at all concerned with it being a project the other side of the world with Japanese scholars.
If anyone wants her details PM me so I can pass them on without attracting spammers.
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Postby Mike Abbott » Tue May 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks Hugh and Rob. I am still struggling to come to grips with this medium. I've lost your postings but I'll just paste what I sent to some of my international contacts, so that anyone else interested can have a look to see what some of them are up to.
Brian Boggs has established an organistion called 'Greenwood' which carries out development work in S America. I hope that these links can work together. http://www.greenwoodglobal.org/
Graham Cole has been involved in similar projects in Tanzania and has some lovely pictures on his blog. http://grahamcole.wordpress.com/
Hey, that's quite a good start! I'll try to remember to work this into my next column in Living Woods Mag.
While I've got a few minutes, I'll look up Mas and Drew and Anders and paste their websites too
Once I have finished the current run of courses in late June, I'll put my mind to the subject in more depth.
Mike Abbott
Regular

Postby Mike Abbott » Tue May 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Oh hell! I can't grapple with it all.
Just try googling Country Workshops, Anders Lindberg and Jasper Murphy to see what's happening around the world.
Mas - please give us details of your amazing college and the Japanese GWW Assn on this forum.
All the best, Mike
Mike Abbott
Regular

Postby Mike Abbott » Wed May 18, 2011 8:14 am

I hope this forum can handle this size entry and that this latest flurry of messages will be of interest. I had better say at this early stage that about ten years ago, I heard that either Scott or Curtis had asked if there was a Spanish translation of my first book to use in this project. This has remained in the back of my mind while working on 'Going with the Grain' and I would like to see the new book translated into other languages for use on such projects.
Mike

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Boggs Brian <brian@boggscollective.com> wrote:
Mike and all,
Before it gets too far, I just want to clarify that Greenwood is the brainchild of Curtis BUchanan who enlisted me at the start. Scott Landis was the third Muskateer and is responsibile for making it possible through his fundraising and directorship. I was instrumental in its founding, but must tip my hat to the others for the bulk of the credit. I do think there is reason to contact both Scott Landis and Curtis Buchannan (copied now above) about this international greenwood development. Not sure where GW will fit in, but GW is already an international green woodworking organization that could add a lot of interest to any potential funders of this new effort, in addition to adding a different perspective to the place of greenwood working in this era.
I still have no idea what the mission of Greenwood international might be, but the sooner that is clarified the better we can direct any effort towards that mission. It will also make it easier to figure how our individual involvement might make sense.
Brian

On 17 May 2011, at 21:41, Scott Landis wrote:

Hi All,

Nice to see this initiative taking shape, wherever it goes.

As Mike Abbott notes in his email below, GreenWood does development work in Latin America. We employ green woodworking techniques, among others, to foster sustainable economic development in forest-based communities. Our mission encompasses the whole spectrum, from forest management to appropriate woodworking technology, marketing and sales.

Brian Boggs mapped out the historical roots of our establishment in the busting out of chairs in Honduras during the early 1990s. Having sprouted from the kernal of Curtis Buchanan's ingenious idea--to apply green woodworking technologies to persistent development problems--GreenWood has trained artisans in the production and sale of a range of wood products, from chairs to boats, rustic fences and guitar parts. Anything made of wood (or nontimber forest products) that we can help folks make efficiently--and sell--employing tools and techniques they can manage themselves is considered fair game. In addition to chair bodging tools and techniques, we also use chainsaws, sawmills and, yes, even hand-held computers, which we employ to track the timber our local counterparts harvest for guitar necks with GPS coordinates and barcodes.

Brian and Curtis have both taught numerous chairmaking workshops in Honduras and Peru, and we remain very active in both countries. In fact, we are currently concluding a month-long field workshop in the Peruvian Amazon, led by GreenWood instructors, Don Weber, Andy Jack and Tim Manney. (I am copying Don, Andy and Tim, as they will be returning to email contact over the next week or two, and they may be interested in this conversation as well.) The primary focus of our most recent initiative was tool improvement and sharpening, as a means of improving carved-bowl production. It revolved around the installation of several field forges and local charcoal production, although foot-powered lathes, basic benches and work-holding devices were also part of the program.

We've been in touch with several of you over the years, including Drew Langsner and Robin Wood. In fact, I visited Robin Wood last month, and we are very pleased to be adding Robin to our official list of GreenWood FOGs--Friends of GreenWood!--as soon as time permits an update to our website.

So please consider this a very preliminary introduction to GreenWood. You'll find more information on our website: http://www.greenwoodglobal.org

I'm happy to encourage this initiative, and to participate in whatever way we can.

Best regards,

Scott
--
Scott Landis
President
GreenWood
80 Academy Street
South Berwick, ME 03908
Tel: 207-384-0062
http://www.greenwoodglobal.org

Hi Scott,
great to hear from you and thanks for filling us in. I have known about it but not really made contact.
If nothing else comes of it, this exchange of information will encourage and inform other such projects around the world.
I'll forward this to Nick Gibbs at Living Wood Magazine and post it on the Bodgers forum.
Best wishes, Mike
Mike Abbott
Regular

Postby robin wood » Wed May 18, 2011 11:50 am

Dear All,

I'll respond to Scott and Brian here rather than extending the email.

Brian makes a good point asking what the aims would be. If the aim is to increase cross continental dialogue and awareness of what is going on in green wood around the world then it is quite easy to do simply by use of web forums like this and does not need the extra admin hassle of setting up a new organisation. (takes a lot of time and effort as many of you know)

If there was question of going down the route of a new international organisation to promote green wood then one group that could serve as a model is the International Ranger Federation which was set up by a friend of mine about 20 years ago. This shows their aims http://www.int-ranger.net/

I would imagine the aims of an international green wood organisation to be furthering the understanding of use of green wood technologies, sharing good practice, celebrating local vernacular.....

The IRF does a lot of good work by getting ranger organisations in rich countries to work with folk doing very difficult work in Africa or Asia on limited budget, in difficult political situations combating poaching of big game etc.

Our equivalent of that might be similar to the work already done by Green wood Global.

Another thing the IRF does is work exchanges and I think this could be highly fruitful. I am sure there is much we could all learn from spending a month working with different tools on a different continent.

And another IRF thing is profile raising. They do a biannual conference which moves around the world, folk present papers, we could work wood. There is nothing quite like a genuine international even to generate major press attention and no disrespect but the international log to leg race I think normally has one non English competitor (from Wales) and Green wood "Global" I believe operates in USA Peru and Honduras. There is a lot of international green woodworking going on that we could have an input on, carving in indonesia Maori work in New Zealand, NWC art in the US, I see lots of wood brought into European craft market from Africa.

We could learn from these folk and we may or may not have something to give in terms of publicity, perhaps highlighting fair trade and encouraging sustainable resource use.

Off set against all these positives is my previously expressed concern about the potential for creating generic global green wood and loosing local vernacular and also my friend the environmentalist who set up IRF clocks up more air miles than anyone I know.

I personally don't have surplus time to make this run and it won't go unless someone with a lot of energy makes it happen. I think the online information exchange is a great and easy thing to do though. I would love to know what all the folk Mike and I are in touch with are doing through ocasional updates posted here.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Windsorman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:29 pm

I made a living making windsor chairs for about 8 years. Here is one of my chairs. I just thought I would share to show my style. I am from Ohio USA.
Tim
Attachments
Windsor chairs 001.jpg
Windsor chairs 001.jpg (246.23 KiB) Viewed 8082 times
Windsorman

Return to Chairmaker's Exchange