stool making and assembly part 4

For chair makers world wide to discuss techniques and design of chairs from around the world

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

stool making and assembly part 4

Postby gavin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 pm

continued from part 3
The basic item
IMG_0288 (WinCE).jpg
IMG_0288 (WinCE).jpg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 4653 times

Swing on the item to make sure it is strong
IMG_0285 (WinCE).jpg
IMG_0285 (WinCE).jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 4651 times

I have yet to weave the top, and shorten the legs above the seat-rails and chamfer the legs where they meet the floor.

But you get the picture!
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: stool making and assembly part 4

Postby Donald Todd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 am

It strikes me that your making things over complicated as well as using inappropriate and/over complex tools.
The simple approach is to shave the legs and tenons green to 5/8" diameter using a ring gauge (or spanner). Use a spokeshave on the tenon if necessary. When dry shave the tenons to 14mm. Put the tenons in using a (hide or rubber) hammer or mallet, but protect the wood with a piece of softwood. A pair of sashcramp heads are easily obtainable and are very portable; my two pairs of Record cramps weigh about 3 Kg.
When demonstrating I have found that the public are very impressed that I made so many of the tools I use. I don't think the tenon cutter would impress even though it is a fairly old tool, unless of course it was home made.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby gavin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Donald Todd wrote:It strikes me that your making things over complicated as well as using inappropriate and/over complex tools.
The simple approach is to shave the legs and tenons green to 5/8" diameter using a ring gauge (or spanner). Use a spokeshave on the tenon if necessary. When dry shave the tenons to 14mm. Put the tenons in using a (hide or rubber) hammer or mallet, but protect the wood with a piece of softwood. A pair of sashcramp heads are easily obtainable and are very portable; my two pairs of Record cramps weigh about 3 Kg.
When demonstrating I have found that the public are very impressed that I made so many of the tools I use. I don't think the tenon cutter would impress even though it is a fairly old tool, unless of course it was home made.

For images of ]sections of tenons whacked together with METAL hammer, refer here. My experience is that you need not protect the work - the hammer blows do not show.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 pm

gavin wrote:I have yet to weave the top…

I suggest you try Ash splint for your seat. This is produced by hammering Ash logs and then splitting the material along the broken spring wood. The resultant splints are reasonably flexible because a lot of the interfibre bonding has been broken. There's an account of this in Drew Langsner's "Green Woodworking", though you already know all about Ash splint here.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Return to Chairmaker's Exchange