Nick Abbott

Please only post 'In Memoriam' messages and condolences on this forum. It is here for us to remember contributors who have died and left us with a small treasure of their knowledge.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Nick Abbott

Postby simon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:41 pm

After a long illness Nick Abbott died this morning. He was a life member of the APTGW. His wife Katie turns, he carved the seats and together they made chairs and other marvels from wood.
Anyone who met him or saw their work at the Bodgers Ball will feel the loss.
http://www.nkabbott.co.uk/index.html
Make it, mend it, wear it out,
Make it do or do without.
FB Simon Lamb Green woodwork
simon
Regular

Re: Nick Abbott

Postby HughSpencer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:11 am

Thank you Simon for posting so promptly.
Here is a picture of the stone raised in Sloughhouse Wood. The wood where so many of us have so many happy memories.
Nick on the right and Eric on the left. The stone stands in a newly planted grove of sweet chestnut.

Thank you Nick for your inspiration, guidance and the love you showed to my family.
Attachments
20140823_123445rotateback.jpg
Nick and Eric in Sloughhouse Wood
20140823_123445rotateback.jpg (839.24 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Re: Nick Abbott

Postby HughSpencer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Nick's funeral took place at the Barn Theatre Little Easton near his home in Great Dunmow. With around 230 to 250 attendees it was standing room only. A large number of the congregation were woodworkers from all over the country. All who took to the stage and talked about Nick spoke of the love and kindness he showed. Nick and Katie were to first polelathe turners I ever met. Back in 1996, they were demonstrating at Bradfield Woods in Suffolk when the wood was declared a national nature reserve. Their double bed lathe inspired me to make our first lathe and over the years Janet and I came to know and love them both.
Goodbye Nick. Thank you for everything you did for us, we will remember you.
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Return to The Last Billet