Gate Hurdle making for beginners (not hazel wattles)

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Gate Hurdle making for beginners (not hazel wattles)

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 pm

The wife had been on a trip with other gardeners to Sussex (& pos. Kent?). Anyway, she took pictures of some mini-gates hurdles (or giant poppies, depending on your perspective) at Sissinghurst Castle in Sussex (I think). Thought you might be interested:
Mini-gate-hurdles.jpg
Mini-gate-hurdles.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 5958 times

There are a few other riven wood & morticed round wood features scattered around too, such as supported posts for espaliered fruit plants (I'm guessing) & a seat.

The gardens look amazing. I think this one is Great Dixter, E. Sussex (nowhere near Little Coxswell or Great Coxswell) - idyllic:
Great Dixter.jpg
Great Dixter.jpg (64.93 KiB) Viewed 5957 times

Good stuff to fill your head with.
ToneWood
Regular

Mortice size??

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Prototype gate-hurdle.jpg
My prototype hurdle trellis.
Prototype gate-hurdle.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 5951 times

I just looked at my mortices. I reckon they are each v. roughly (and I mean very roughly) 2" long and 20mm wide (i.e. less the an inch but more than half an inch). I'm wondering what size mortice I should be aiming for, for a gate hurdle. I'm thinking maybe a well cut 0.5" x 1.5" or perhaps a bit bigger, maybe 0.75" x 2"?
[Actually I haven't seen any 3/4" mortice chisels, 5/8" seems far more common.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:29 pm

I've reduced the width of the prototype by 18-20" at the wife's request & added the other bars of traditional hurdle design (my son came up with a grid alternative which actually looked better for this trellis application - but the wife preferred this & I'm happy to stick with the tried & tested traditional look).

Gate-hurdle installed.jpg
Gate-hurdle installed.jpg (90.01 KiB) Viewed 5943 times

I'd nailed the mortices, so I had to cut the nails with a cold chisel, to disassemble the original frame, to shorten it. :(
Unfortunately, when I re-nailed the mortices, unknown to me, 2 of the nails did not go through the central spar & instead bent! Consequently those mortice-joints moved out of place during installation :(.

I think it looks quite good though but it would not stand scrutiny from a woodsman, let alone a cabinet maker. I didn't shave the riven wood - as I don't have a shaving brake/horse - and rustic was the look we were aiming for. As birch rots, I'm not going to get too precious about this - I'll aim to make a better one next time. I loved making it, quite hard work. I've gained an increased appreciation of the hurdle-maker/coppicer/woodsman (whose better-made & more refined hurdles would have had to withstand being frequently moved across the hills & meadows).

Quite a lot of plants were removed to install this, which will now need to be re-planted around the hurdle-trellis, which is adjacent to a rose-arch - not really visible in the images.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Brian Williamson wrote a v. good post on the details making this sort of mortice joint on the Twibil thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1804&start=30 I made several mistakes, so v.interesting to read how it should be done.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:11 pm

I remade the above gate-hurdle recently:
1. Replaced the 2 main upright posts with freshly riven sweet chestnut. The old silver birch spikes in the ground were still sound (to my surprised) but my original mortice joints were split-damaged from when I first hammered them in. The new joints are cleaner & stronger.
2. Added a third horizontal rail (to better keep my hypothetical sheep in :D) - this time sweet chestnut, added as the top-bar. And made the whole thing a little smaller. It probably would not keep sheep in still but I prefer the way it looks now.
3. Evened-out some of the most uneven parts of the original hurdle, pulled off loose birch bark & trimmed down the sticking out bits - going for a slightly less rustic look this time. (The shave-horse & froe-brake I made in the meantime certainly helped)
Remade Gate-Hurdle.jpg
Remade Gate-Hurdle.jpg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
ToneWood
Regular

Previous

Return to Member's Projects