micro axe

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

micro axe

Postby witt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Well, here is the whole story : I possess this axe head since some time and kept it in prevision for making a larger axe with similar lines which i found elegant. The size of it seemed to me ridiculously small so i never considered using it except as a modell.
Recently I bought a very old axe from Sweden which really satisfied me in relation to what I was attempting to get from the previous design.
I did not know what to do with the first axe conceived as a modell as I dropped the project, till the day I fitted a handle on it for fun. I'm having great time with it since.
[Image [Image
][/img][Image
][/img][Image
][/img][Image
][/img]
witt
Regular

Re: micro axe

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:44 am

That's an excellent looking little axe! The thick wedge shape reminds me of the Roselli axe that some spoon carvers favor.
Attachments
r860.jpg
r860.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 10086 times
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby witt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:33 am

yes, indeed, I suppose those 2 pieces of axe have common features.
It has the advantages of being precised with big inertia. When using it with a whippy chopping, in a machin-gun speed of repetition, it gets everytime where you want it to hit with a powerful impact, when you keep your hand close to the head, the weight of the massiv head (for such a small axe) is assimilated to the body mass of your arm and the plunging effect is then smoothly controled.
witt
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 pm

I like it quite a bit. It is a handsome little axe. I've got the finnish axe head I purchased from you ready to be hafted, but have yet to find a bit of wood that I like well enough to make a handle with.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby witt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Why not taking a branch of holly from near the base (it will make a wonderful handle with a fine grain )? it will even be more solid than birch and match the original aspect.
witt
Regular

Postby witt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:56 pm

By a branch I mean a young trunk.
Or shall I send you a bit of seasoned holm oak ? http://www.wallarna.webshoponline.se/sk ... -yxor.aspx
witt
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:37 am

$30 for a hunk of holm oak? A touch expensive once you add on shipping and handling etc. All I have here is apple, maple, beech and walnut. None of these woods are good for handles. I do have a larger piece of Ash lumber but it is very dry. We'll see. I've got to let my tendinitis heal a little longer anyway.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby witt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:16 am

Yes, this range of prices hurts the tits badly.
I have many projects going on concerning axes from the 17th/18th century.
But 2 other projects keep me busy right now :
buying a piece of wood land
buying an old saw mill
Good luck with your tenditinis, I don't envy you for that having had one myself some months ago by insisting to hew with a foot adze at the wrong distance from the timber which forced me to lift the shoulders continuously to adapt. I regretted immensely that I didn't take the proper dispositions in time.
witt
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Interesting info. about the holly Witt. I enjoy your colorful phrases.
bulldawg_65 wrote:I like it quite a bit. It is a handsome little axe...
Ditto. I've seen numerous much larger axes with a similar triangular "plan view", often from Austria/Bulgaria. Some of them side axes. I normally associate that kind of thick wedge shape with splitting logs, so I am curious as to how they perform.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Good luck on the land purchase and the saw mill purchase... You must send photos! :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby witt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Tone, very simple, I couldn't help "tits" : I have got Touret syndrom.
About the saw mill, I don't know where to put it; it needs a big building. It's huge, heavy (need a crane to lift it and a truck to transport it). Then I would need to raise my electricity subscription type into a very expensive one. The engine delivers 17 hp. Then I would have to find a crane to install for lifting the timbers on the saw wagon. Troubles, you see. Apart from all that, it's a bargain : 700 euros for it ! I think I will decline anyway, I feel old and tired sometimes. Anyone interested, please contact me.
The woodland is 6 hectars large.
About your Finnish axe, Philippe, take a look at : http://svenska.yle.fi/matochfritid/verk ... hp?id=2274
witt
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Merci Witt! That was just what I needed. Did I tell you I've been using the axe head with out a handle? LOL It works great for just trimming or planing a piece of wood.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Return to Member's Projects