First steps....

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

First steps....

Postby Christophe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi everyone,

Being new to this forum and after presenting myself in the appropriate thread, I thought that showing my first few steps would be a good idea...
The very first one was made from a beech burl with an Adze from pfeil...that what's put me off the hand tools last year, since then I order a HK adze...much better ;)
The second one was made out of a wild cherry burl, adze (still the pfeil) and crook knife.
The third one is made out of wild cherry burl but just with crook knife.
The fourth one, wild cherry branch, surprisingly, on this one the pfeil adze worked amazingly.....
The fitfh one...well that's the most recent one, I did it with the HK adze but....I realize after starting that the wood was more than just seasoned and while asking myself how this could be, I realise that it was a piece of burning wood that I put on the side 2 years ago and that it was sitting at my friend's house for at least the last 10years, but stubborn as I am, I finished it nevertheless. I know, it's a green woodworking forum, so I should not post it here, BUT at least, it shows that hand tools are powerful and it helped me reaching another notch in my sharpening abilities ;). I'm not sure about the wood but I'm thinking about spalted maple....anyone having confirmation or the right answer?
I also made on spoon out of juniper....did not find decent crook 'til now....
Hope to do more soon.
Thanks for looking and any comment is welcome :)
Attachments
1st.jpg
1st.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
1st1.jpg
1st1.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
2nd.jpg
2nd.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
3rd.jpg
3rd.jpg (86.22 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
4th.jpg
4th.jpg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
5th.jpg
5th.jpg (64.25 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
5th1.jpg
5th1.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
Spoon1.jpg
Spoon1.jpg (85.78 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Re: First steps....

Postby JonnyP » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Looks very nice chap. Do you make to sell, or just for your pleasure..?
JonnyP
Regular

Postby Christophe » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the feedback
As for your question, I make for pleasure.
For the moment I am not thinking about selling, especially because I just started "playing" with wood, but....in the future, if I get to a point where I think I'm doing good enough to sell....well, why not it could help my compulsive tools buying lol.
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Christophe wrote:Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the feedback
As for your question, I make for pleasure.
For the moment I am not thinking about selling, especially because I just started "playing" with wood, but....in the future, if I get to a point where I think I'm doing good enough to sell....well, why not it could help my compulsive tools buying lol.

I found selling tough. I do not make or sell much, but I am not fast at making, so each spoon or bowl becomes a bit special to me because of all I have put into it.. I always sell at a loss if time is taken into consideration, and that makes it harder still to sell. But I have sold, and the feed back I get is great. I have also started to adopt a personal style to my spoons and although that was recommended on here for me to make lots of the same shape, so I speed up, the style I do does not lend itself to speed..
Playing with wood is always good though imo :0)
JonnyP
Regular

Postby Christophe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Jonny,

I completely agree with you on the toughness of selling, I'm an osteopath but I'm trying to do it where it is most needed and I do it for free, so when I'm in North Europe, I'm doing market to sell hand crafted bone carving (Maori style) and my better half is a sewer.
Well, either people have been buying Chinese mass production sh... for too long and they lost the value of hand work.
Or....I'm not a seller. As far as I know I can see people doing really good on market and usually they are selling "hand-crafted" indian or chinese whatever, that they claim to have design....For sure, they are cheaper than I am (even though I would not say that I am expensive), but the main difference, imo, they are SELLERS, they have a special mindset that works, good for them.
Otherwise, I could also say that I sell "at loss", but I enjoy a lot what I'm doing and the time I spend doing it...so am I really selling at loss?! For sure I do not sell to people who don't value the work (I'm stubborn ;)), but like you (and most surely, a lot of people on this forum) I put a lot of myself in each "carving" and so each piece is special to me, but that makes it even better when it is sold to someone that get attracted by it...
Anyway, with or without selling, I do think that using hands in a creative way, with wood, iron, bone, paper, is so much fun and so relaxing. Probably people should try more and a lot of dis-ease would not be ;)
Saying that, I have a piece of birch waiting for me :)
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Christophe wrote:Hi Jonny,

I completely agree with you on the toughness of selling...

It is no surprise that the most highly-rewarded persons in our society are those that can sell and persuade. Whether you sell chinese-made goods or surgery or management - you get more money if you can influence people to perceive value in your proposition.

Picasso wrote of his agent and dealer, Kahnweiler What would have become of us if Kahnweiler hadn't had a business sense? I wonder if Picasso would be known as a great artist if Kahnweiler had not acted. M Kahnweiler did rather more than take orders.

There is a raft of nuance and subtlety in the sales process, and if you study and then apply it, you will get rewarded.

Going by earlier postings on this topic, many members of this board wish that selling results were not so hard-won and that their ware would sell easily. And I do too - I'd love it if craft were valued fully. Whilst I love the sales process :D , I do see that most don't.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:34 am

A read an interview with a very successful car dealer in the USA. When asked how many cars he'd sold, I think he said one - certainly a very low number. But he followed that by explaining that he had facilitated the sale of many thousands. His point, I think, was that it was very hard to sell somebody something they really don't want/need but vastly easier to help them find something they already wanted/needed.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Christophe » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:06 am

Humm....
Gavin, where do I start....
"It is no surprise that the most highly-rewarded persons in our society are those that can sell and persuade. Whether you sell chinese-made goods or surgery or management - you get more money if you can influence people to perceive value in your proposition."
I do not want to persuade anyone, or influence anyone I let this to other who might find it a good thing. What I would rather do is to inform people
Then you talk about Kanhweiler and his business sense....by business sense, you mean being full of money, because let's face it, if he didn't had the money to start with, that did allow him to buy paintings of what he perceive as artist, do you think history would remember him? It's a bit like Guggenheim and Pollock.
The trouble with art is that it's about 10people in the world deciding what it is.
I do not know if you are familiar with Banksy, but I would advise you to have a look at a documentary call "Exit through the gift shop", a rather brilliant constat on street art and art in general.
"(...)raft of nuance and subtlety in the sales process, and if you study(...)" sounds like some poor advertising from some obscure sales manager, imo. And I do think that life is to short to study any of this bullsh...
I red with interest the earlier posting you mentioned...it did re-assure me a lot. Also I noticed that you talked about embedded command which comes from NLP...well I will not start a debate over the use, theory and validity of NLP but it is funny to notice that it was quickly enough used by marketing people and my opinion about marketing is resumed in the video that you can find here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo
Well, having stated my opinion, it seems clear that you enjoy the sales process as much as I hate it ;)

Tonewood, "(...)facilatated the sale of thousand(...)", so a good seller is a guy that take a commission ;)

Ok I'm done with the long post, sorry about any grammatical mistakes (I speak english more than I write it, and I'm french ;))
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby gavin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:47 am

Christophe,
I think this is not the venue for this extended conversation. If we should meet, let's continue it over a pint.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Christophe » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Gavin,
I'll agree for the pint but hopefully we will talk about something more interesting :)
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby gavin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Christophe wrote:Gavin,
I'll agree for the pint but hopefully we will talk about something more interesting :)

But Christophe - what is more interesting than how we are to live and gain our income? I think it is the single most fascinating conversation available!
We can settle the topic of conversation as and when we do meet. It is possible I'll be at Bodgers Ball in Cambridge in 2013. If so, look me out!
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby simon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 am

The way I look at it, I give people the opportunity to buy but do not "sell". I provide information if they are interested but I do not encourage them to buy things they neither want nor need. Most of us have homes full of stuff like that. My prices are much more expensive than imported "crafts" but I see no point in trying to compete on price. If the customer is interested I will explain about being local, the provenance of the wood, using hand tools and pole lathe, tooled finish and so on. There is a slow burn, which works at longer events 2/3 days or more. Time for people to consider and come back, but is of little use at one morning markets or craft fairs. At craft fairs either they get it or they don't, most don't in my experience, but one nice woman made my day when she bought six spoons.
Making things with wood is one skill, selling is another. Gavin has both.
Make it, mend it, wear it out,
Make it do or do without.
FB Simon Lamb Green woodwork
simon
Regular

Postby Christophe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:46 am

Gavin,
Seems like we will have to agree to disagree :)
"But Christophe - what is more interesting than how we are to live and gain our income?" I'll agree on the first part, but talk about our income just don't interest me at all. I use to meet with other osteopaths and all I wanted to do was talking about patients, techniques and new ideas, but always they ended up talking about income...Well, boring boring boring. ;)
Like anyone else, I to need money but instead of going into the selling mode, I will go and pick fruits to make the minimum needed.
As for the bodger ball, well I would like to but unfortunately will not be able to make it. I'm living in my van and at the time of the event, I will be down south Europe, probably picking fruits ;) so....but I'm hoping to be able to make it within the next few years, and due to the fact that the 21 of december 2012 did not see the end of this world, well hope is allowed ;)
Simon,
I like your way :). In my experience, Switzerland, Germany and Austria are good selling places 'cos people still recognize hand craft but to live in those country is a bit more expensive than south Europe. There's no perfect solution....
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Return to Member's Projects