East Midlands/Lincolnshire Local Group?

news of events, appeals for demonstrators, dates and contact details

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

East Midlands/Lincolnshire Local Group?

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:40 am

It seems to me, browsing the latest copy of the Gazette, that there is a large area in the East Midlands and Lincolnshire that has no nearby local group.
Whilst hesitating to launch a group myself, having little experience other than making a chair with Mike Abbott some 5 years ago, I would happily team up with others to help set up a group.
I have no idea where, locally, one can obtain green wood at a reasonable price, or where meeting premises might be found.
Hugh, I see from your location that a local group might be in your interest also - any others in this area interested?

Nick
Nick

Postby HughSpencer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:48 am

Hi Nick, the main constraint seems to be finding a suitable venue to hold meetings.
I tend to go all the way to Bradfield woods in Suffolk.
However I know that there may be enthusiasm for bodgers to use a wood near Cambridge.
There is a grant from the APT for setting up a local group.
Hugh
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:53 am

Hi Hugh

Just how does one go about finding a wood in which to practice?
Nick

Postby HughSpencer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:32 am

Hi Nick
I think the best way might be to approach the local wildlife trust in your area and see if they have any woodland. See if its suitable and then get the local warden or tree officer interested. They are often trying to get people to work old coppice and the like. There is no substitute for going and asking. Negotiating a clear set of guidelines on what to do and what not to do is essential for harmony with landowners and adjacent users of the countryside.
Regards,
Hugh
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Postby Bob_Fleet » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:22 pm

You could also try the Woodland Trust in your area.
http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/link

or the community woodland association in Scotland.
http://www.community-woods.org.uk/

You will be able to find a local woodland and they will usually be keen to encourage green woodworking etc. if they can.

If you look on the Wooplaw Woodland site in the gallery you can see that we have even had weekends making polelathes.
http://www.wooplaw.org.uk

Hope you are successful.
Bob_Fleet
Regular

EVENTS

Postby REM Thomas » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Hugh

Last week there was a piece on Bodgers from "King of the Bodgers" (AKA Stuart!) on Open Country Radio 4. Should be able to hear it on listen again.

Bob
REM Thomas
Regular

Postby HughSpencer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:54 am

Thanks Bob,
I heard it and then forgot to post a note about it. It was quite a surprise to turn on the radio in the car and hear Stuart stomping around in the beech leaves.

For those who don't know, you can go the the BBC web site and find the listen again feature to hear programmes again - great if you missed something.
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Return to Events