Coppice Week Training Courses and Earthburn 11 -15th August

news of events, appeals for demonstrators, dates and contact details

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Coppice Week Training Courses and Earthburn 11 -15th August

Postby Mark Allery » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:31 am

Coppice week running from 11th-15th August at the Ashdown Forest Visitor centre is

'A gathering of England’s finest coppice craftsmen from six counties This is your opportunity to enjoy an insight into the fascinating world of making traditional products from our coppiced woodlands. Many of the tutors still make their living from producing these products and all of them have gathered this week to teach their skills to others.Come and watch, or sign up and learn how to do it.'

The centre piece will be a massive 15ton double storey charcoal Earthburn run by Alan and Jo Waters.

You can come to visit, or to help out, or book onto one of the courses - low subsidised prices are available - course tutors include Owen Jones (oak swill baskets), Jeremy Atkinson (clog sole maker), Alan Sage (gate hurdles), Terry Heard (tent pegs), Neil McLaughlin(Hazel hurdles) and Stan Card (besom brooms) as well as charcoal burning (Alan Waters) . Impressive - and did I mention the low subsidised prices? You can get more information andf the course details from links on my blogsite

http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/coppice-week-training-courses-and-the-earthburn-11th-15th-august-2010/

or contact Jo Waters on 07786 515460 or by email at wildwoodcoppice@btinternet.com

or send me an email if you have any questions that I can help with

cheers

Mark
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com
woodland.antics@virgin.net
Mark Allery
Regular

Re: Coppice Week Training Courses and Earthburn 11 -15th Aug

Postby bodgehog » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Mark, I missed you by an hour or so.

Turned up Friday, had a great time catching up with everyone & meeting a bunch of great people.

All the courses went very well from what I saw - sadly I was too skint & too late to participate in any apart from the burn. I was particularly taken with Jeremy's clog soles & Owen' Oak Swill baskets.

Had a good whittling session with folk near the fire, started some kuksas with some of Jeremy's Alder off-cuts. He had a beautiful set of stock knives for the clog soles too.

Stan had a steady stream of people engaged in Besom making - for free!

Roll on the next one!
bodgehog
Regular

Re: Coppice Week Training Courses and Earthburn 11 -15th Aug

Postby arth » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:26 pm

On was on Owen's swill basket course. I enjoyed it very much although I don't think i could make another basket on my own.
arth
Regular

Return to Events