Bodgers ball 2013

news of events, appeals for demonstrators, dates and contact details

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Bodgers ball 2013

Postby Antrees » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Hello all,
Could someone please let me know when the 2013 bodgers ball will take place? I work shifts so I want to book it off early.
Thanks
Ant
Antrees

Re: Bodgers ball 2013

Postby gavin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 am

always 2nd weekend of May : so 2013 will be Fri 10 May, Sat 11 May and Sun 12 May. You can arrive any time and you have more fun if you get there on Friday. That way you eat you can get set up on Friday and have loads of time to chat and share experiences, tips and techniques.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Antrees » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks very much for that Gavin. Really appreciate that. It'll be my first bodgers so looking forward to it. Cheers, Ant
Antrees

Postby RJWEcology » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I had a fantastic time at the 2012 BB - Just hope I can go to the 2013 event (fingers crossed it's in Wales!).
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby Antrees » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm

I believe it's going to be in Wimpole in Cambridgeshire.
Antrees

Postby RJWEcology » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Antrees wrote:I believe it's going to be in Wimpole in Cambridgeshire.

Hmmmm.... Will need to look into how I'll get there...
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Yes you're right, the venue is going to be Wimpole Hall which is about 15 miles south west of Cambridge and a few miles north of Royston. It's been a long time since the Ball was in the East and I think it was only ever on that side of the country once before ?

The hall is a National Trust Property ( postcode SG8 0BW ) with a large mansion, grounds, 2acre walled garden, 2200acre estate and a working organic (in conversion) rare breed farm. But we get a flat field out the back. Mind you, being as it's East Anglia it is a very big field and very flat. I'm sure that there should be a better description than that before too long!

As with every ball I suspect it's going to have it's own unique atmosphere - and they are always good!

There is a local group which has just started up and meets at Wimpole Hall, so if anyone in the area wants to join in and offer their help I think that they'd be very welcome - there is always a lot of preparation for these events and a lot of effort going on behind the scenes.

Sorry it didn't turn out to be in Wales this time it would have been good - but maybe we can twist some arms and manage that in 2014!

cheers

Mark
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com
woodland.antics@virgin.net
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby Darrell » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 am

Exciting news here in my end of the world.

I might actually be going to the Bodgers Ball this year!

This year sees our 25th wedding anniversary (on Guy Fawkes Day, but that means little on this side of the Atlantic) and my wife wanted to do something special, a trip to Europe perhaps. Specifically, she wants to visit Denmark. How about in May, I suggested. OK, she says. And how about a 3 day stopover in the UK? What, she asks, you want to go to the Bodgers Ball? Nothing gets by her. At this point, she is quite happy with the whole trip idea, including the BB. However...

There are some restrictions. She does not want to haul camping gear all the way to Europe and back (we go camping with the local Scout Troop enough already) so we will have to find someplace close by with a roof to sleep under. Then I thought maybe one of the locals might have a spare tent they could bring to the BB and loan to us. So, here I am, hat in hand, asking for the loan of a tent, large enough to accommodate two adults plus their luggage.

Darrell
5 thousand km each way, more or less
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Darrell wrote:here I am, hat in hand, asking for the loan of a tent, large enough to accommodate two adults plus their luggage.

5 thousand km each way, more or less

PM me if you get no better offer: I can lend you a tent that just works for 2 adults and luggage who never want to stand up . If you get a bigger offer, take it.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Download booking form here: http://www.bodgers.org.uk/pdf/BB2013_booking_info.pdf - it closes 30 April, so stop thinking about and send off your application form now!
More info here: http://www.bodgers.org.uk/events
esp the 2011 video : http://www.bodgers.org.uk/film-review/ball-video
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Darrell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks Gavin,

One of the more local members has offered a tent for us, so you don't have to haul one all the way from Scotland ;^)

Flights are booked, the APT form is filled out, and I'm already wondering how close I can get to the weight allowance and not set off every metal detector in the airport.

Darrell
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Re: Bodgers ball 2013 - plenty of logs on site??

Postby gavin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 am

Can any organiser tell me if we need to bring our own logs? Some years there is tonnes of logs available for making into projects at BB. But some years there is hardly any and you wish you'd brought your own logs.

Do I need to bring my own logs to Wimpole? I really would rather not schlep wood from Scotland.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi Gavin,

no need to bring your own logs (unless you are very particular) as the estate team at Wimpole have been felling a lot of Ash which they assure us will be availble for people to use, should also be sycamore and oak and maybe some small diameter elm - otherwise they'll be charcoaling it.

Yes, it can be very variable. It depends a lot upon whether the hosts/organisers are in wood producing or wood consuming products or both - if you spend the winter working in the woods providing an extra couple of tonnes is not a problem, but if you spend the winter in your shed using every scrap that comes your way then I imagine it can be a bit daunting when hordes of scavenging bodgers descend upon you with a ravenous appetite for wood. One of the things that's quite difficult to keep consistent when we visit a different site each year - but I do love the itinerant nature of the ball.

talking of which I need to run away now as I need to get some charcoal made whilst it's not raining.

cheers

Mark
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com
woodland.antics@virgin.net
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 am

There was a call for demonstrators at BB. Who is organising that and any schedule of who does what when? For with no prior schedule, you can miss out on very interesting learning.

If wanted I can demonstrate
    1. very basic leather sheath making
    2. hand-powered tenon cutter ( none of this electrickery!)
    3. Pencil Factory dowel cutter (is there really money in lead?)
    4. Basic mortice joints using Mike Abbott's Going with the Grain method
    5. Thor hammer making
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby AKI » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 am

Hi, Is the ball open to non members? I used to be a member some 15 or so years ago & seem to remember something about Sunday being for visitors. If so I will pop along as it is not a million miles away from where I live.

Cheers Aki.
AKI
Regular

Next

Return to Events