Bodgers ball 2013

news of events, appeals for demonstrators, dates and contact details

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Bodgers ball 2013

Postby Mark Allery » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am

gavin wrote:There was a call for demonstrators at BB.

Was there? I must have missed that. I am aware of a call for volunteers to help with setting up and running the ball. Anyone who would like to turn up early and help with the setup and/or during the ball - please email Simon damant (simon.damant@nationaltrust.org.uk)

For me one of the most special things about the ball is the number of members who bring along their setup and do their stuff - so in that sense there is always a call for demonstrators as we encourage everyone to bring their kit and join in and in that sense demonstrations are all 'wanted'.

If you haven't been to a ball before and aren't sure whether to demonstrate or not - just bring your setup anyway - you'll be amazed how much fun you can have and how much members are willing to share their knowledge and encouragement - I was when I started. These demonstrations are informal and not scheduled though if anyone wanted to schedule something I am sure that we can publicise it on the day.

The invited demonstrations have been arranged to reflect the theme of the ball, the skills of local greenwood workers and with workshops from some of our perennial favourites and these will be scheduled on the day (if not before) and most likely using a blackboard to be able to remain flexible. At a guess I'd expect it to be located by the registration tent but don't hold me to that - it is a bodgers ball after all.

The invited demonstrations are being organised jointly between the local organising team and the committee - though if you want someone to blame I doubt that you could do better than point at me! The informal demonstrations are not organised and we leave individual members to decide what they'd like to do.

gavin wrote:If wanted I can demonstrate
    1. very basic leather sheath making
    2. hand-powered tenon cutter ( none of this electrickery!)
    3. Pencil Factory dowel cutter (is there really money in lead?)
    4. Basic mortice joints using Mike Abbott's Going with the Grain method
    5. Thor hammer making

I'm sure that any of your demonstrations would be appreciated at the ball. Speaking just for me, I'd be interested to see how you make your pencils in practice and the hammer making sounds of interest. There will be a leather worker demonstrating at the show - but that doesn't mean that there can't be more than one. If you asked me, I'd plump for the hammer making - on the limp basis that it's slightly more agricultural with the theme of the ball this year? How does that sound?

I'll ask Hugh if he can put up a list of the organised demos on the web and I will publish it here in a couple of days, just as soon as it's in reasonable shape.

Thanks for raising it and I hope that this helps -

cheers

Mark
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com
woodland.antics@virgin.net
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:21 am

AKI wrote:Hi, Is the ball open to non members? I used to be a member some 15 or so years ago & seem to remember something about Sunday being for visitors. If so I will pop along as it is not a million miles away from where I live.

Cheers Aki.

The situation with visitors depends upon the host site. As this year it's the national trust it will be open to visitors - so do pop along and have a look - you never know you might be inspired. I was.

But be aware that at Wimpole Hall there the NT charges - even it's members, though at a reduced rate - for access to Home Farm and as I understand it this will include the Bodgers Ball.

cheers

Mark
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby AKI » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks Mark, Might make that Saturday then before the traders sell all the good stuff, see you there.

Cheers Aki
AKI
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 am

Demonstration List

As I promised here is a version of the demonstration list for the Ball - no doubt there will be changes to the list - many at the last possible moment.

Invited Demonstrations – Bygones Ball 2013
Demo By
1 Wheelwright - Ben Headon W&D Museum
2 Timber Hewing - Julian Bell W&D Museum
3 Basket Making (Have a Go) - Christine Brewster
4 Spoon Carving - Barn Carder
5 Polelathe setup - Ben Orford
6 Get the most from your blank - Ben Orford
7 fanbirds - Sean Hellman
8 Honing (Workshop) Sean Hellman
9 Hedge Laying - Arthur Richards
10 Scything - TBD
11 Flailing - Richard Brown
12 Wattle Hurdles - Tim Radford
13 Leather Working - Richard Woodland
14 Stickmaker - Graham Damant
15 Purse Net making - Shane O'Reilly
16 Wool Spinning - Jean Cairns
17 Have a go lathes - Wimpole local Group
18 Corn Dolly Making – NT Staff – Debbie Barker
19 Blacksmithing - NT Staff – Magnus & Sarah
20 Charcoal Burning/Green woodworking - NT Staff – Neil Smith, Peter Franklin, Ian Hog, Peter Martin
21 Heavy Horses/Horse Logging - Simon Damant
22 Sheep Shearing - Olga Damant

Lots of members are planning to do their thing as well, and I am aware of Charcoal Retort Kiln, Sussex Trugs, Wood Steaming, Wooden Spades and more - maybe some pencil drilling and/or thor hammer making? - in addition to the usual array of lathes - and as for the shavehorses - maybe we should rename it the alternative horse of the year show ? - looks like there will be a record attendance and perhaps a record number of demonstrations? So get your gear out, load it up and bring it along - don't worry if it's not finished yet, or needs fixing (mine always does) it might be just the opportunity to get some help!

cheers

Mark
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby nic » Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Well I'll be there forging axes.

Would be really keen to know if there will be members of the public about, it sound like there definately will be? - it will alter what I need to bring , was planning on having edge tools on open display, but only if it was a members only event.
nic
Regular

Postby vikki » Mon May 06, 2013 5:34 pm

can anyone recommend a campsite in the vicinity? with heading to the ball we'd like to be in the area a few days after to see the more mainstream sights :)
really looking forward to it, we missed last year.
novice bowl carver and mum of 2. www.abusymum.blogspot.com (bits of carving and sewing currently- both brand new to me, so sometimes might be of interest!)
vikki
Regular

Postby HughSpencer » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi Vikki,
your best bet would be the Caravan and Camping Club site as they accept non members if you are not a member. I'd call them and book.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/siteseekerlite/aspx/details.aspx?id=6060

Regards
Hugh.
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Postby Mark Allery » Mon May 06, 2013 10:31 pm

nic wrote:Well I'll be there forging axes.

Would be really keen to know if there will be members of the public about, it sound like there definately will be? - it will alter what I need to bring , was planning on having edge tools on open display, but only if it was a members only event.

Nic, sorry for the delay in response I've been at a show all weekend.

Short answer is yes.

Though we don't know how many are likely to come. The NT at Wimpole charges for access to the farm and so visitors to Wimpole will not be able to visit the ball unless they pay the additional charge for the farm. Unlikely to be many casual visitors on this basis. Also public access hours will be limited by the NT.

In practice, I'm not sure what difference it actually makes as we don't have the resources to police access to the Ball very tightly. The NT ticketing may actually make it more difficult for members of the public to wander in than it is at a nominally private site and guests of members are not members anyway, strictly speaking. Given that we expect 500+ members and guests to attend the ball (weather depending) I'd expect that people demonstrating will use the same approach that they would use at any show or event with regard to security and health and safety?

Hope this helps,

cheers

Mark
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby bobiles » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am

Hi All,
I see an earlier thread said that we need to apply for the Ball before the end of April. Due to personal reasons I couldn't commit until now and would like to come for the Friday night and stay all day Saturday. Is this possible and if so who do I need to contact etc.
Many thanks all
Bob
bobiles

Postby Mark Allery » Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 am

Hello Bob,

Yes, it is possible. You will need to register when you arrive (or when the registration desk is open).

The reason for closing the registration on the 30th april is to prevent the usual last minute overload on Sue and David Reeve - who dedicate many, many hours to processing, replying to applications and answering questions.

cheers

Mark
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby bobiles » Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Many thanks Mark, I'll see you there and will be available to help out where needed.
Bob
:lol:
bobiles

Postby RJWEcology » Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 pm

I was really hoping to camp in the woods again (like last year) - any chance there will be a wooded area again or are we all in the field?
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby Aebvtivs » Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi there folks, new here. Only really joined to find out about the Bodgers Ball next weekend, so forgive me if I don't post much... I have one question - can I bring my dogs with me? Not huge things, and constantly on a lead (pooh bags at the ready too!). Bringing my son, so the house will be without dogsitters, I hope I can, and look forward to seeing you there!

Many thanks,

'Bvt
Aebvtivs

Postby Mark Allery » Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Aebvtivs wrote: I have one question - can I bring my dogs with me? Not huge things, and constantly on a lead (pooh bags at the ready too!).

'Bvt

Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome.

cheers

Mark
Mark Allery
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 pm

RJWEcology wrote:I was really hoping to camp in the woods again (like last year) - any chance there will be a wooded area again or are we all in the field?

Sorry to disappoint you but I think that all of the camping will be in the field. But we'll see. There is a woodland at the bottom end of the field - so if you take yourself right off to the far end then you might manage to get in amongst the trees! But it will be quite a walk to get to the bar and the loos!

I am off to work on the site now so may not be able to answer any last minute questions, look forward to seeing you all there,

cheers

Mark
Mark Allery
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Events