Firewooding skill-share?

news of events, appeals for demonstrators, dates and contact details

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Firewooding skill-share?

Postby gavin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I have a gentleman's agreement for limited foraging rights over a local privately-owned woodland, near a public road, in postcode DG5

I hope to run a firewooding skill-share there winter 2014/15, ideally using hand-tools only.

Has anyone done any such thing ? i.e. Whose experience can I leverage?
Can anyone recommend any related reading on this topic? I am not wedded to hand-tools only as a concept, it is a preference.

The objectives - so far - are share ways to :

cut
    split
    move
    extract
    store
    stack
    dry
roundwood down into usable billets for your particular stove or boiler.

I will exclude tree-felling from this skill-share. Far safer to hire a tree-feller for the group to watch from a distance.

If any reader of this post cares to be in Scotland near Dumfries and take part, please PM me and we'll make it happen. You'll get a trailer load of timber out of this (if you want) and pay a donation.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: Firewooding skill-share?

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:12 am

Is a 'skill-share' like a demonstration/ lesson?

I'm probably looking at this from a different spot then you are, but it seems to me that there is not that much to teach about firewood. If you cut out (pun fully intended, I ent a fellow to waste one) tree falling, you are really only left with moving the wood, junking it up (which would probably be left out for the same reasons tree falling was) and splitting it, so far as hands on lessons go. Storing and drying are more classroom lessons. Junking up firewood and splitting it should take you all of ten minutes to teach, and moving/ extracting wood is pretty straight forward.

Hand tools only seems a bit impractical to me. I'd mutiny if I was told to cut a load of wood without my chainsaw. If the idea is to demonstrate traditional skills then fine. But if to teach people to supply their own firewood is the objective, then you are not measuring up to the requirements. In any case I would run over all the different tools, modern and traditional just for the sake of being comprehensive. (instructions on chainsaw safety and use would add a fair appeal to the day in my opinion)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Re: Firewooding skill-share?

Postby gavin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:33 am

AlexanderTheLate wrote:Is a 'skill-share' like a demonstration/ lesson?

No, it's "I do it this way - how do you do it?"
If I went firewooding with you, I'd bet I'd learn things I did not know. Possibly some of the things I use would interest you. So it's a chance to compare different methods. Also 8 people in a team could move more to roadside in a day than 8 individuals, and get more split and loaded and stacked and drying. So it's a chance to pool labour for greater efficiency
For instance...

AlexanderTheLate wrote:
Junking up firewood and splitting it should take you all of ten minutes to teach, and moving/ extracting wood is pretty straight forward.

Hmm - depends on diameter. Extraction and moving - what tools are best? If you burn 10 tonnes a year or 500 kg your needs are pretty different, and I want to explore what tools are a sensible minimum for any particular user.

AlexanderTheLate wrote:
Hand tools only seems a bit impractical to me. I'd mutiny if I was told to cut a load of wood without my chainsaw. If the idea is to demonstrate traditional skills then fine. But if to teach people to supply their own firewood is the objective, then you are not measuring up to the requirements. In any case I would run over all the different tools, modern and traditional just for the sake of being comprehensive. (instructions on chainsaw safety and use would add a fair appeal to the day in my opinion)

Agreed that chainsaws probably will come into it - and I'd love it if they did not!
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Events