Spoon carving meet up. North Essex

news of events, appeals for demonstrators, dates and contact details

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Spoon carving meet up. North Essex

Postby davestovell » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Now that the Herts Spoon-club has moved to Cumbria and is, alas, no more (unless you live in Cumbria), I am looking to host a spoon-club (Herts spoon-club Essex branch) meet up in North Essex (nr Braintree just off A120) on Saturday 1st October.

Like a phoenix rising from the embers of Adrian’s constantly burning chiminea fed with the sad souls of spoons that didn’t make the grade and various other bits of wood he just had lying around, by the ton, I am intending it to be a friendly space where we can sit, carve, chat and drink tea….lots of tea.

As someone who spends a lot of time working alone I found the meet-ups at Adrian's a great opportunity to share tips and information, as well as an invaluable social connect .

There are several people looking at hosting similar local meet-ups around the country, and borrowing from them the ground rules will be:

1: No Beginners please, if you want to learn from scratch please attend a course with a tutor and learn basic safety and grips with someone who can give you FULL attention and oversee your safety, and they will have insurance. Having said that, if you have learnt the basic safety protocols of knife and axe work and would benefit from meeting other spoon-carvers, woodworkers then you will be most welcome but I must emphasise that safety is the highest priority, along with the tea.
2: It is to be a meeting of friendly minds so best to stay away from politics, religion etc, everyone is welcome and should feel comfortable.
3: You will be responsible for your own safety, but also please be aware of your possible actions on others, no unsheathed tools lying around, make space for your axe and knife work, no chain saws etc.
4: Children, There isn’t an age limit and the example of Spoonfest shows that age should not be a barrier but YOU must be wholly responsible for your children in an environment that will have some safety issues like a fire, and sharp tools. You must decide if your child would thrive and survive or be a distraction.

Like the meetings at Adrian’s I will provide lunch if required (£5) along with ample tea, coffee, herbal etc as well as a large bin of biscuits, though I don’t think I can match Jo’s Focaccia and chilli pickled Quail eggs

If you think you might be interested then let me know and If anyone is shy or nervous in social situations the risk is worth it and you will be made most welcome.

I’m not sure if and how regular it may be, or if we look at rotating the hosting round various venues in the area. Lets see how the first one goes.
davestovell
Regular

Re: Spoon carving meet up. North Essex

Postby davestovell » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Just a reminder that the informal meet up of North Essex Spoon Carving is in less than two weeks on Saturday 1st October, venue is near Braintree (just twenty mins from Stansted if anyone is coming via M11). Please get in touch if your thinking of coming (no commitment needed) for directions.
davestovell
Regular

Return to Events