Devon and Cornwall

news of events, appeals for demonstrators, dates and contact details

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Devon and Cornwall

Postby SteveW » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 pm

I was just wondering if we have any members in the south Devon, North Cornwall area who may like to have a get together from time to time to swap ideas and tips. I have tried to contact Rory MacPhee in Falmouth, but my mail keeps bouncing back. Does anyone know if he is still about and active?

Tentative enquiry only at this stage :D

Steve
SteveW
Regular

Re: Devon and Cornwall

Postby SeanHellman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Yes

When?

Where?

Summer/autumn not good for me as I have many shows
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby SteveW » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:06 pm

SeanHellman wrote:Yes

When?

Where?

Summer/autumn not good for me as I have many shows

:D now that's' the $64,000 question

How many Devon members are there? and do you chaps have something established or are we starting from scratch here?
SteveW
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:05 pm

We need to contact Tony the Devon groups venerable leader,
Tony Vokes
45 Prospect Park
Exeter
EX4 6NA

Tony is a great bloke, and I have meet him a number of times at the southwest woodfair, he usually enters the log to leg race and gets beaten by the likes of Ben Orford and Mike, like everyone else. There seems to be no email or phone number for Tony and I think the Devon group is small.
I am new to the APT and do not know anyone really.
If there are any members or people reading this forum, do make yourselves known to me at the shows I attend, I have details on my website under `about Sean Hellman`. Mind you the show season for me does not start for a good few months yet.
Lets see what we can make happen.
Devon Cornwall people please make yourself known here
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby SteveW » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm swamped by all the replies here.... :lol:

Any hoo...

Finch Foundry near Okehampton has a Rural crafts and skills day on the 22nd August. I don't know if the APT committee in charge of attending stuff is aware of this, or if anyone is planning on going, but it looks like it may be worth finding out a bit more about it and maybe showing a face or two. I plan to be there as a spectator either way .

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w- ... pertyID=21

All the info I have is here.

Humm the link only takes you to the first 2 events on the list, you need to search again and make the dates include August to see the link.
SteveW
Regular

Postby steve tomlin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:05 pm

hi steve,
devon does seem to be short of active members. i'm based just near okehampton and i'd be up for a gathering
steve
steve tomlin
Regular

Postby SteveW » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Steve good man!

With the weather getting slowly better and the arts and craft show season just around the corner, it would be nice if we could have a few get togethers before the winter sends us all scurrying for the warm fires of home. I'm in north Cornwall so Okehampton is just up the A30 for me.

I'm very much an armchair bodger at the moment and it would be nice to have at least a semi active group for help and encouragement. My aspirations have taken a serious knock in the last few weeks after I found out I have to move from a perfect location, with 3 small barns/sheds. To a less than perfect one a few miles away, zero storage outside... :x I have to get a new shed just to keep all my crap...er...I mean all my important hobby tools and such like in. Still. maybe I'll have to rent a small workshop well outside wife shouting distance from home, so maybe it won't be all bad.

Spread the word and we'll see what we can arrange. :D
SteveW
Regular

Postby dave budd » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:20 pm

my favourite local event of the year has been cancelled this year. It seems that Woodfair Southwest, the folk who organise teh Roadford woodfair, have failed to get funding (amongst other cockups) and so it isn't happening :(

Sean (and others in my local), where are you going to this summer? :)
dave budd
Regular

Postby John Allman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:54 pm

I paid Tony Vokes a surprise visit a few weeks ago. It was the first time I'd seen him since about fifty years ago. He gave me his email address, but unfortunately it was on a small piece of paper that I have lost. Can you, or anyone, please supply Tony's email address to me? It would save me a postage stamp.

My contact details are all at JohnAllman.UK.
John Allman

Postby Robin Fawcett » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi John - according to the APTGW membership list his email is Tonyveee@blueyonder.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Return to Events