Spoon carving and bowl carving 2010 courses

post details and dates of courses on greenwood subjects

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Spoon carving and bowl carving 2010 courses

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:56 pm

As well as spoon carving by popular demand we have expanded our range of courses to include bowl carving with axes, adzes and gouges:
Image Image

Dates for 2010 are...
Mon 22 - Wed 24 February - bowl carving - FULL
Wed 17 - Fri 19 March - basic spoon carving - FULL
Wed 26 - Fri 28 May - bowl carving (all abilities)
Mon 14 - Wed 16 June - developers spoon carving - FULL
Mon 27 - Wed 29 September - basic spoon carving - FULL
Wed 6 - Fri 8 October - developers spoon carving - FULL
Fri 15 - Sun 17 October - bowl carving - FULL

Full details http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/carving-courses.htm
Last edited by Nicola Wood on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Oct developers course now full
Nicola Wood
Regular

bowl carving and spooncarving courses 2010

Postby robin wood » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm

We have just posted dates of 2010 courses on the website here http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/spoon-carving.htm

New for 2010 is bowlcarving. I recently took delivery of 10 Hans Karlsson adzes specially for the courses. We will carve Scandinavian style bowls using axes and adzes.
Also new is shrink pot carving. I am really looking forward to 3 days dedicated shrink pot carving myself and seeing what everybody makes.

Although last years courses booked up well we are running no more this year as it is important to me to be a woodworker who does a bit of teaching rather than a teacher who does a bit of woodworking. These will book up so get in early if you want to come.

Courses are backed by 15 years full time woodworking experience. The way we teach has been informed partly through experiencing the way craft is taught in a methodical manner in Sweden whilst teaching at the national folk craft school there and partly by Nicola's PhD research looking at the way people best learn craft skills. We only use the best quality tools and offer the chance to try out most of the tools available on the market today. We concentrate not on getting people to produce lots of nice things with lots of help during the course but on passing on the key skills so that students have the confidence to carry on making things at home.

Our courses are not the cheapest but people do seem to rate what we do highly.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Re: Spoon carving, bowl carving and shrink pots 2010 courses

Postby Ian S » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Ooh, I'll chip in here....

1) Edale is a fantastic place to visit - very rural and historical (mentioned in the Domesday book, no less).

2) Robin is a crackingly good teacher

3) As is Nicola

4) And Nicola's home-made soups for lunch are superb!

I did a beginner's spoon carving course this year (2009), and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can wholeheartedly recommend attending one of these courses to anyone.

(I have also tried to reserve a slot on one course next year (2010) - I just hope I have a slot!)

Cheers
How sharp is sharp enough?
Ian S
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Ian S wrote:(I have also tried to reserve a slot on one course next year (2010) - I just hope I have a slot!)

Thanks Ian ... and you do!
I'm amazed that the first bowl carving course is half full and I only put the details online 24 hours ago :shock: Within half an hour of my putting the dates up, Robin had an email pointing out I hadn't updated the booking form!
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Due to popular demand we have just added an extra bowl carving course 26-28 May 2010 - Feb is full and there is just one place left on the Oct course. If you're interested in a shrink pot course email/pm - we will probably run this as a small course from home.
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby Rich Dyson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Only 27 sleeps to go to the bowl carving.
Not that I'm counting :lol:
Rich Dyson
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 pm

What are shrink pots..? They look very nice..
JonnyP
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:13 am

The body of the shrink pot is made by taking the inside out of a log so you end up with a tube of wood - this bit has to be quite green. You cut a groove inside just up from the bottom then slot in a disc of really dry wood. The tube of green wood shrinks in as it dries and traps the disc of dried wood in the groove forming a neat base. They are lovely things and can be made in all sorts of sizes. We have them all over the house, I'll take some pictures when I have a moment.
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Nicola Wood wrote:The body of the shrink pot is made by taking the inside out of a log so you end up with a tube of wood - this bit has to be quite green. You cut a groove inside just up from the bottom then slot in a disc of really dry wood. The tube of green wood shrinks in as it dries and traps the disc of dried wood in the groove forming a neat base. They are lovely things and can be made in all sorts of sizes. We have them all over the house, I'll take some pictures when I have a moment.

Sounds great.. Is it done on the lathe..? I have always found it hard going cutting deep into a pot, but then I guess I haven't had the right tools..
JonnyP
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm

No, not on a lathe. You start by drilling through with a large auger, then widen the hole with a knife. If it is a big log you drill several holes then use a gouge. Once you have the knack it is surprisingly quick and easy.
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby JonnyP » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Nicola Wood wrote:No, not on a lathe. You start by drilling through with a large auger, then widen the hole with a knife. If it is a big log you drill several holes then use a gouge. Once you have the knack it is surprisingly quick and easy.

I'll give it a go.. :D We have a lot of green wood coming in at the mo..
JonnyP
Regular

Re: spoon pictures

Postby FGYT » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:57 am

looking fwd to the Spoon carving course .......... shame its september :(
just looking for accomadation within walking distance of the hall

ATB

Duncan
FGYT
Regular

Postby Rich Dyson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Edale YHA was very good - I stayed there for a couple of nights this week with Richard and Ian whilst attending Robin's bowl carving course which was first class. We had a car but the hostel is within walking distance. Hope this helps.
Rich Dyson
Regular

Postby RichardLaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Rich Dyson wrote:Edale YHA was very good - I stayed there for a couple of nights this week with Richard and Ian ...

Hear, hear! Very good for those on a tight budget, you can take your own food and cook it in the self catering block (also known as the place of the outcasts). Of course the lunches served on Robin's courses are great so it's just brekkies and dinner to get. I reckon the walk is about a mile and a quarter one way, and you can go over the fields rather than along a rather narrow road with no footpath as I recall.
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby FGYT » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:43 pm

cheers guys its a littel more complex tha n that and without i hope hijacking theis thread
im coming up for a week with the wife n kids and she wants the car for the days im carving :shock: and not have to get up early with the kids to drop me off :roll:
ATB

Duncan
FGYT
Regular

Next

Return to Courses