Chair making courses with ???

post details and dates of courses on greenwood subjects

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Chair making courses with ???

Postby foggy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Hello friends,

I am thinking of signing up to do a chair making course and was wondering if any forum users had completed a course recently with either: Mike Abbott, Tim Gatfield or Guy Mallinson?

I would love to hear what you thought of the course and if you found it worthwhile.

Kind regards

F
Foggy
foggy

Re: Chair making courses with ???

Postby robin wood » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:15 am

If you are trying to decide which of those three courses to go on you would be better talking to someone who has good experience of all three. I am sure they are all decent courses and anyone that has just been on any one of them will just say yes great course which doesn't help you make your choice. Barn Carder has spent significant time helping Mike Abbott and with Tim Gatfield and also knows the team at Guy's well, he would tell you what the comparative strengths of each are, it depends what you are looking for really. I would certainly consider Gudrun Lietz, all will offer different pros and cons.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 am

What is the rate per teaching day with these various providers?

I have visited both Mike and Guy's set ups and chatted with both. I feel that Guy's is more up-market. I think you don't do any food preparation at Guy's but you do at Mike's. I don't think Guy provides any evening catering. Most people stay on site at Mike's and so just about always cater co-operatively ( like a glorious flat-share but in the woods!) and so there are many evenings of sociability after Mike has left for the day. As Mike's assistants are usually musically gifted, there is song and music each evening.

I don't know how the social dynamics at Guy's work after the course is over each day. Who can report on this?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby foggy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks Gavin, Robin.

Its not just about the cost of the course, I also want to hear peoples take on the course content, one to one time spent with the student and overall experience.. But I take your comments on board.

Kind regards

F
Foggy
foggy

Postby foggy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 pm

So no one else been on a chair making course with any of the above providers then?

Booked in with Mr. Mike Abbott in the new year. :D
Foggy
foggy

Postby ToneWood » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Sounds good. I was going to say I know a chap that did a chair making course in Shropshire (I think). He must have enjoyed it because he did a second course at the same place a year or two later. I've seen his chairs and rate them highly - I offered to buy them off him as we need a couple more chairs and his are similar in design to the chairs we already have (understandably he was reluctant to part with them). He's moved on to cabinet making now...
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Courses