Any recommended chair bodging courses in Bristol/Glos area?

post details and dates of courses on greenwood subjects

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Any recommended chair bodging courses in Bristol/Glos area?

Postby Stanleythecat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi All

Could anyone commend/recommend a greenwood chair making course in the Bristol/South Glos/Wilts area? I'm doing the maths, I can't really afford to stay overnight but if I can demonstrate the basics to the wife she might see the value in letting me 'invest' in a reputable course with the eventual hope that she might get some nice dining room chairs... one day!

Do you know any one in my area?

Many thanks

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Re: Any recommended chair bodging courses in Bristol/Glos ar

Postby Davie Crockett » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi Leo, Have a look at the front page (Courses) http://www.bodgers.org.uk/courses there's a few in Glos. Or maybe bring your good lady to the Bodgers Ball weekend in May and have a go there!
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:15 pm

I've just noticed that these courses were for last year, sorry! Maybe you could contact the organisers and arrange something privately.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby Brian Williamson » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Try www.greenwoodcourses.com.

Paul Hayden runs regular courses in Westonbirt Arboretum (south Glos). They have a very good reputation - though here I must admit I know him well!

Brian.
http://www.westcountrycoppice.co.uk

undergreenwood.wordpress.com

'Measure twice and cut once'
Brian Williamson
Regular

Postby PeterS » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 pm

I also know Paul and can commend him to you - I saw him just today demonstrating at the Yandles woodworking show!

One of his ex-apprentices, Pete Murray, also offers courses in the Glos area:http://www.theartfulbodger.co.uk/

Near Marshfield, north of Bath, and possibly near to you is the excellent http://www.cherrywoodproject.co.uk/

These are courses I am personally aware of .....there are no doubt others.

FYI The North Somerset bodgers group is based at the National Trust Tyntesfield Estate, 7 miles south of Bristol. Some of us can be found enjoying ourselves there 2 days a week and we are offering taster sessions through the NT.
Come and see us. PM me if you want more details.
PeterS

Postby Stanleythecat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks guys that's really helpful. I'm pretty close to Westonbirt and great value... and the side chair pictured on the cherrywood page is lovely. Now my campaign begins!
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:29 am

stanley the Cat,
In the light of this comment:
PeterS wrote: The North Somerset bodgers group is based at the National Trust Tyntesfield Estate, 7 miles south of Bristol. Some of us can be found enjoying ourselves there 2 days a week and we are offering taster sessions through the NT.
Come and see us. PM me if you want more details.

- why not go there to see that group with wife? There's nothing like 3rd party validation, both of the greenwood process and of the suggested instructor. You could set this up in advance by being clear about the teacher you want and the dates of their next course, but the conversation would go something like this between your wife/ partner and someone you have selected associated with PeterS' group. That person says to your wife:

Well, if your bloke does want to do really learn how to do this sort of thing [pause for her to nod or say yes - there's nowt like building agreement in selling] and I imagine you'd not him to waste money with the wrong tools and making easily-avoidable beginner's mistakes [pause again for her to nod and build more agreement], I'd go and do a course with someone.
    [pause, listen for wife to ask: Who do you suggest?
    Your interlocutor continues: Well, I'd suggest the course with Jane Bloggs, and I think she's got another one starting 2nd weekend next month [or whenever you've worked out you know works for you] . She's really good value.

The hardest job in sales is knowing when to shut up. And if you are listening to this discussion, you must keep your mouth zipped through all of this conversation, allowing her to suggest all this to you.

Worst case, you have to manufacture a reason to go near PeterS' event with wife ( you know, visit to some shop or event nearby that interests her)
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby nic » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:44 am

Another vote for Paul Hayden,

I spent the weekend demonstrating alongside him, a good friend even if he did delight in telling everyone how his axes came from lidyls and cost £4.
nic
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks Gavin

I think I'd love to see you sell my wife something! A mixture of cunning intelligence and being a part time market trader selling her chutneys to people who clearly never thought they wanted any... I think I need a more cunning plan. Thankfully she does see the merit of well made 'things' and I am coming from the angle (as an old fashioned family who use a dinner table for meals!) that there would be no greater achievement than for all of us to sit down to a table and chairs that were made 'at home'! It seems to be working... and why not!

Thanks Nic. I'm keen to learn the post and rung style akin to Jeanie Alexander's. When I am closer to the nod I will see if Paul can help.

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Stanleythecat wrote:Thanks Gavin

I think I'd love to see you sell my wife something! A mixture of cunning intelligence and being a part time market trader selling her chutneys to people who clearly never thought they wanted any... I think I need a more cunning plan. Thankfully she does see the merit of well made 'things' and I am coming from the angle (as an old fashioned family who use a dinner table for meals!) that there would be no greater achievement than for all of us to sit down to a table and chairs that were made 'at home'! It seems to be working... and why not!

Thanks Nic. I'm keen to learn the post and rung style akin to Jeanie Alexander's. When I am closer to the nod I will see if Paul can help.

Leo

Why not get her to buy you Mike Abbott's Going with the Grain ? It'll cost £16 or so. You may be able to work out the chairmaking from that, but more likely she'll get involved and interested. At the least, do go and see your local group. GWG suggests making your tenon with Veritas tennon cutters. You can do them on a pole lathe, but that is more challenging for the novice - or for someone lacking a pole lathe.

And: Are you going to BB2013? Is wife going? It'll only cost you £20 each for the weekend (plus transport, food & beer) and if by the end of that she is not agreeing to any suggestion you put to her about courses & making stuff, well, you cannot sell to everyone every day...!

You could of course come to Shed Therapy here in Scotland - last Friday of the month from 7 pm. Tell her you have that option and you can learn the very basic post-and-rung stool techniques in several hours from people who only ask for a donation and will then tell you to get on with it. No we won't teach you steaming, but you'll have enough info thereafter to work it out yourself. ( All in all, I do think you'd be better to stick closer to home. ) But do give her the idea you've expored potentially lower-cost alternatives.

You should also let her read this series of postings!
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby emjay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm

If you go on a course you'll finish up with one chair. Like Gavin says, get Mike Abbotts book. I worked from "Living Wood".Make the bending jigs and all the other little gadgets shown. A steamer from a cheap wallpaper stripper and a bit of plastic pipe. The instructions are easy to follow. Once you've got all this together you can make as many chairs as you like. Nearly all done on the shave horse, only the tenons on the pole lathe. Nothing stopping you now,get cracking.
Mick
emjay
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Guys

Really helpful to have your ear! I have to say the whole greenwoodwork area draws blank expressions from most people in my life and a forum like this makes me feel a little more connected!

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Ps Gavin I ordered 'going with the grain' yesterday afternoon and wished there was a shed for therapy a little closer to home!
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby gavin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Stanleythecat wrote: I ... wished there was a shed for therapy a little closer to home!

Have you got a shed? Can you heat it? Even with a Calor gas heater? If that could fit 2 persons in it, then you can set up a Shed Therapy Outreach Group or STOG. This is intended to sound impressive where you get to say I am off STOGG-ing tonight. Do you want to come? A new concept, where anyone with a shed, some woody-related tools, a supply of tea and space in the shed invites others to join him or her. They will be known as STOGGERs.

Simply announce your intention, a time and date, and location and see what happens. For the sake of focus, let this happen on last Friday of the month. And if you have not a shed, then find one. Any pub will be pleased to have you in a spare room of theirs too if you cannot find a shed. The beauty of this scheme is it forces you to think What will I make? and What resources do I need to bring?

And if you think you need to be expert to have open shed - you don't! Just like you don't need to be expert to participate in this board - all you do need do is take action.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby mstibs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:04 pm

gavin wrote:... all you do need do is take action.

If this board had like buttons, I'd have clicked it here.
Cheers!
STIBS
Saxons. Were good wood-turners, they had to be because they were poor potters...from "A Short History of Woodturning with the Pole-lathe" by Brian G. Howarth; My bilingual (de/en) Blog: http://mstibs.wordpress.com
mstibs
Regular

Return to Courses