Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenware"

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenware"

Postby ToneWood » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Bit of a "train-spotter"/anorak question: what tools did Jogge Sundqvist use in his DVD?

I'm particularly curious about the small viking-style axe he used most (and which features on the cover picture) and also the slightly bigger side-axe that he used to cut the ends straight (was surprised he did not use the excellent Gransfor's Swedish carving axe co-designed by his father). I'm also curious as to which tools were his own (the self-made knife certainly - did you notice the decoration on the sheath?!) and which were borrowed from Drew Langsner's North Carolina workshop (presumably most/all of the bigger/heavier ones).

I'm also curious about the saw he used. While I have seen wooden-framed saws like that before, I've never seen anyone using one before. I was surprised how thin the blade was.
My father used fret-saws and coping-saws (I forget the difference) but they were metal, looked quite different and had much shorted blades.

Also, any thoughts/preferences on draw knives & spoke-shaves - particular with respect to bowl making?
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenw

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:49 pm

I like that axe too. The closest thing I have found to it is the McGowan Firestone Axe http://www.mcgowanmfg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=3. Nicely priced, I've thought about buying one.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby Ian S » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:32 pm

The viking style axe could be a Stefan Ronnqvist axe?

Cheers
How sharp is sharp enough?
Ian S
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:47 pm

I did a little digging around myself & found another possible contender. I put a post on the Bushcraft forum as somebody there was looking at this too. Here is the gist of it:

Have you thought about the Svante Djarv Little Viking axe? I'm toying with the idea of getting hold of one of them having seen Jogge Sundqvist use one on his bowl/spoon carving DVD. It seems like a good, lighter weight alternative to the GB Carving axe which I love.
I don't think Jogge is using the Svante Djarv Little Viking axe in the DVD - I just compared images as I too liked the look of the axe he used (which might be from the N. Carolina workshop, where the DVD was shot, rather than his own?). To me it looks much more like the Woodcraft Carving axe mentioned in a .PDF here but apparently that is no longer available from http://www.woodcraft.com :( - the axe head looks the same although the handle looks different (the Woodcraft axe & adze both have a prominent knob at the end). The Little Viking looks somewhat broader between the handle and the cutting edge/bit and the beard is a little more conservative, the handle a little shorter/thicker. Similar idea though.
Links associated with the image links below:

ImageImage Image

Not sure why this traditional (viking/Swedish/bearded) style of axe is so hard to find/expensive (the Svante Djarv Viking Axe lists at a whopping £245 here, although the small model is considerably cheaper at a still whopping £175). In the article mentioned above, the author mentioned getting his Woodcraft axe discounted at just $82 (that's dollars, not pounds - probably about £39 back then) - lucky him! I reckon they might sell well at that price in the UK now.
BTW You can buy Svante Djarv axes (and others) here: http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_4
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat May 12, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:I like that axe too. The closest thing I have found to it is the McGowan Firestone Axe http://www.mcgowanmfg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=3. Nicely priced, I've thought about buying one.

I thought you were joking first but then noticed the carving axe below, $95 - not bad. Hard to tell what the difference between the axes is at first glance. Nice leather guard,
http://www.mcgowanmfg.com/index.cfm?fus ... arentCat=3
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:59 pm

:D I'm not surprised all the carvers are up for one of these axes - it looks darn cool and is apparently the one chosen by Jogge Sundqvist. To be honest, I don't really need one - my Gransfors Carving axe and Lidl's carving axe cover the same ground and more. But sure is a fine looking axe.

Talking of Jogge, I just got Robin Wood's newsletter email -- Jogge Sundqvist is going to be at Spoonfest in August!!!!!
August 17-19 SPOONFEST
http://spoonfest.co.uk/

Jogge Sundqvist is coming to SPOONFEST too and we will have a major exhibition of work of all the worlds top carvers collected by Norman Stevens and displayed for the first time outside the USA download the catalog of part of the collection here. For those that do facebook there is a spoonfest facebook group here

(Just finished my bowl mate...more on the bowl mate thread, later).
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Ian S wrote:The viking style axe could be a Stefan Ronnqvist axe?
I never noticed that item on the Woodland Craft Supplies website before - new? What a shame they don't have a picture :(. The weight sounds about right: Woodland Craft Supplies: Stefan Ronnqvist Viking Style Axe Head. Just the head - nice project to make your own handle (I'm having trouble finding ash, although it grows in my garden - had to clear a huge fallen ash tree from a path a couple of years ago - great firewood but would have been better used for chairs and axe handles :(). I've got a feeling the axe head is going to be horrifically expensive though - let's hope not, the lack of handle & fitting should help keep production and shipping costs down.
Last edited by ToneWood on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Ian S » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:44 pm

ToneWood wrote:I never noticed that item on the Woodland Craft Supplies website before - new?

Nope. Jon Warnes, the previous owner of Woodland Craft used to list it as well, and that's going back a minimum of five years.
Ian S
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Somebody was selling off about 10 viking axes on ebay last week, from up in the Shetland Islands (from Up Helleya! (sp?) perhaps?).
The one pictured looked good but when I enquired, they weren't sure if they were up to use for woodworking - they were selling them for historical reenactments.
(What a terrible waste if somebody did actually make them to be used! Seems unlikely though.)

UPDATE: None sold so far at £50 a piece: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190651599970? ... 1438.l2649
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Follansbee » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Ian S wrote:The viking style axe could be a Stefan Ronnqvist axe?

Cheers

Go to the head of the class - that's the hatchet Jogge was using in that shoot...
Follansbee
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:40 am

Mr. Follansbee beat me to it... Did a search to get a picture of one of the Steffan Ronnqvist axes, and it is exactly the axe Jogge was working with. Check it out!
P1000561.jpg
P1000561.jpg (181.07 KiB) Viewed 20695 times

Funny how the Firestone Axe head looks so similar in shape except for the eye and cheeks.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:32 pm

Sweet. Classic viking design I suppose. Anybody know how much they cost?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Ian S » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:08 pm

You could try contacting Woodland Craft, seeing as how his website lists them....
Ian S
Regular

Postby woodchubber » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 pm

About £250 last I knew
woodchubber
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:01 pm

woodchubber wrote:About £250 last I knew
Wow! Breathtakingly expensive. I guess in the viking days, for many, your axe was you prime possession, your primary tool for felling, cutting, shaping, smoothing timber for making home, heat and boats, and it was your weapon for invasion/battle. I guess in that context, a beautifully designed and handmade, quality tool such as that, which can be passed down for generations (if not stolen or lost) could command a hefty price. It does look like an axe, that at a push, could "do it all" - for a greenwood carver anyway, being similar to but lighter than the Gransfor's carving axe. On the other hand, it makes the Gransfors Carving axe (which I thought very expensive) seem like a veritable bargain and my "£5 Lidl Carving axe" a gift.

It is interesting that axe design hasn't really evolved much since viking times. Well designs have changed but we're all harking back to the vikings for our carving axes. Perhaps they were biggest/most proficient/most prolific users of the axe in more creative ways than simply felling trees and splitting firewood? (Did the Saxons use similar axes? The Angles, Saxons & Jutes supposedly came from parts of what is now northern Germany & Denmark [re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxons] and so would have been "neighbours" of the Vikings. The vikings were known for trading widely.)

Just came across this interesting link on Viking & Saxon axes: http://www.regia.org/axe.htm Now I see where the idea for those double-bit throwing axes that Gransfors still make came from -- nasty. Apparently the smaller, bearded Viking axe, which we are discussing, is called a skegox or Skeggox (as opposed to the larger Broadaxe or Dane-axe! :)).
Last edited by ToneWood on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Next

Return to Beginner's corner