Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenware"

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenw

Postby ToneWood » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:02 pm

Came across this webpage featuring Jogge/Sloyd on Country Workshops excellent US website: http://www.countryworkshops.org/sloyd.html
ToneWood
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:18 am

Hey there fellow treen lovers. I completely forgot to update my progress on this thread. I upgraded my camera and now fell in love with shooting motion pictures.

I'm not sure how to embed video links so if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Anyways, here's that good ole' Ronnqvist axe in action. I almost covered a kuksa making from start to finish. It was over 100 degrees F outside this day but I had to get out, and chop some treen! :D

So far that helve hasn't budged one bit. I guess I did an ok job with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGhbxqd ... ature=plcp
alexyerks
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:20 am

Loved the Video Alexy! I am very jealous of that beautiful axe! And your skill too! :mrgreen:
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Yes, cool video. Nice use of the bowlmate too, I hadn't really considered using mine as a chopping surface (despite seeing the youtube video of a Swedish clog carving doing just that). Is the other axe a Granfors Wildlife axe/hatchet?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Thats a great little video, Bravo!
http://paulatkin.co.uk/

{the one with the pole of glee} morrigan 2008
paul atkin
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 pm

ToneWood wrote:Yes, cool video. Nice use of the bowlmate too, I hadn't really considered using mine as a chopping surface (despite seeing the youtube video of a Swedish clog carving doing just that). Is the other axe a Granfors Wildlife axe/hatchet?

That's exactly where I got the idea to make that rig. I even have a similar hat to that swedish guy in the video. I also then saw that Robin W has bowl mate plans! Made the job a lot easier. I've now abandoned my stumps, and I use the mate for all chopping. I like to chop standing up opposed to sitting. I feel it's easier for me to see what the axe sees, and I get more accuracy. (So far... until I find my next rig)

That is a wildlife hatchet. I just got it, and I use that all the time. It's just like my little norlund but better. I love the balance, and it's as light as a feather. There's other videos in my channel of those axes, and even some scraps of guitar playing I did behind the chopping.

Thanks for the nice words. I've become an obsessed carver.
alexyerks
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:23 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:Loved the Video Alexy! I am very jealous of that beautiful axe! And your skill too! :mrgreen:

Well thank you! The other day I was carving with only my norlund and realized sometimes the tools don't really matter much. Although it is nice to have a dreamy axe though. I carve everyday now, and it's all become second nature. Feels strange. Last year, I used to get furious with mistakes, and muscle fatigue. Now it's like riding a bike 8)
alexyerks
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Short Jogge Sunqvist video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrFdsgOX3wQ
ToneWood
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Made a new video of camping and kuksa carving. Had a lot of fun, and it was downpours and tornado warnings for that weekend... fun!
(Note not all of the video was carving)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1_XxlGe ... ature=plcp
I played the music as well 8)

Can anyone help me embed the video?
alexyerks
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 am

Hey Guys,

Just got this hatchet in. It's a Swedish style that they used to sell at Wood Craft a year or so back. It is brand new and has never been used. I was wondering, should I reshape the bevel and how?

Attachments
Carving Axes.JPG
From left to right. New Swedish Style Axe, GB Carver, Small Kent Pattern Axe.
Carving Axes.JPG (42.44 KiB) Viewed 9385 times
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:30 am

bulldawg_65 wrote:Hey Guys,

Just got this hatchet in. It's a Swedish style that they used to sell at Wood Craft a year or so back. It is brand new and has never been used. I was wondering, should I reshape the bevel and how?

I'd sharpen it and use it on a variety of projects first. The maker presumably has more knowledge of the intended result than you have, so I'd not alter a system someone has put thought into. I would NOT re-shape the bevel just now. If the bevel is asymmetric for right-handers and you are right-handed, I would not reshape it just now. If you are left-handed, then I'd be a bit quicker to reshape any assymetric bevel.

Once you have used it a while, and you want more comment, post more pix of the bevel itself with the ax in cross-section against a suitable background.

Have you suitable sheath for it? If not, that is the first thing I'd do : make a sheath.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Good find, nice viking axe bulldawg :) Where did you find it - ebay?
BTW I just made another axe guard today, it doesn't take long at all once you have the awl & leather: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2282&p=20675#p20675
Mine aren't pretty though, you might want to try something more like the Gransfors guards, perhaps a "historic" guard featured earlier in this thread though, which stitches a leather lace/thong along the edge instead of thread/rivets?

I've been working on a moderate right-hand biased sharpening of my 3lb Kent axe too: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2451&p=20677#p20677
ToneWood
Regular

Postby nic » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Should you reshape the bevel? it depends on what its like and how it cuts! If it good leave it alone.

I am firmly of the opinion that different people will prefer different grinds. On the axe I use most I initially sharpened it like a carving knife about 27 deg but that was a bit shallow for good edge retention on harder woods so over time it become slightly conex with resharpening. was great for cutting concave shapes but not so good for planning cuts. Took the plunge and sided it with a really flat bevel for me (lefty) to use and a much shorter slighlty convex bevel on the 'other' side. I like it much better now. BUT I let some right handers have a go with it at a show and they loved it, lots of orders for it.
I think that whatever you do the sharper it is the better and as shallow an angle as the steel will hold must be a good starting point. Flat bevels are probably worht a shot as if you strop enough you will get to try out convex bevels in time. Everyone seems to reccomend a file for axes; I don't have any experience of that; I am pretty sure all mine would kill a file and I have some simple jigs sorted out for my belt grinder.

As Gavin says a picture of your edge would be good. If its difficult to photo try using your scanner they can give really good images, even if you have to leave the lid up
nic
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks guys! Tonewood, yes, I got it on Ebay. I've got a fellow who makes really nice leather guards for knives and other tools and he's decently priced so I will be sending him my work. Gavin and Nic, thanks for the advice. I am really excited to have this beauty. As of right now the grind on the axe is centered and rough. My next step is to take my arkansas stones to it and then strop it up once I've tightened the edge a bit. I've normally just run my small stones with a little oil down the edge but I am thinking about putting my larger stones into a vice and working the edge that way. But then on second thought, I get pretty decent results with the way I've done it traditionally so why screw with success! :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 pm

jrccaim wrote:... I find that for spoons and such, 20 cm is about right...
jrrcaim, your post stuck in my mind and I have been keeping my eye out for a smaller bow saw since. It was not an urgent requirement - my 12" bow saw provides good service on the odd occasions when I need a saw & I like it very much - so when occasionally they showed up I have been outbid by those with more pressing need/deeper pockets. It was several months before I saw one, they were few and far between, but oddly several have appeared in the last month or so and I finally won one with my modest bid :). Actually I won 2, they came as a package deal although there is only one blade* :D (only in Britain!).
My new small bow saws have a 10" blade (so about 25cm) - that seems to be the standard small size in the UK. Although that doesn't sound much smaller than 12", the actual size of the frame and overall weight is considerably less than the 12" saw. I'll try to find a blade* for the second saw and sell it on, I only need one and it would be a shame for it not be used. I've reassembled them, they look good and the blade works well, nice job on the cords too - I like them already :).

UPDATE: I found & bought a new blade, so both saws are back in working order :)
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner