Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenware"

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenw

Postby ToneWood » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:07 am

I made one one of those curved carving/viking axe handles: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2451
Not sure yet how practical a back curved hand is. I expect it will be handy for carving, especially with a high, choke grip but perhaps less efficient for large forestry/bushcraft chopping - but we'll see.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:02 pm

On a Kent patterned axe I'm not sure it will help. If you look at the axe head you were modeling the handle after, you'll notice if it were on a straight handle or forward curved handle, the only contact you'd make with the wood would be with the top tip. This is because the axe was originally a war axe, on a straight or forward sweeping handle the forward sweep of the head is meant to penetrate armor, leather, muscle and bone. So the back swept handle enables the carver to use the entire blade. With the backswept handle on the kent axe head, you'll only make contact with the base of the blade. The kent pattern axe is meant for a straighter axe handle with little to no forward sweep. I'm not sure you'll get much use of that axe unless you hold it just under the axe head. ATB, Phil
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:25 pm

I think you are right - see above thread.
ToneWood
Regular

Jogge's decorative-carving knife?

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:15 pm

In the DVD, Jogge uses a specialized knife to carve decoration into his spoon. He used it to cut lines, for example, by cutting a v-groove with a long cut for each side. I didn't really get the design of the knife though - as best I could tell, it has a very short blade, perhaps a raked-back chisel edge - or perhaps just the corner was sharpened? Or was it basically a flat chip carving blade with curved back and no decernible bevel? I wondered if anybody had any further details/insight into it?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Oh Yeah! That one had me going and confused for a while. What he is using is a hand forged chip carving knife. https://mychipcarving.com/Chip_Carving/Store/knives.htm

I've since purchased several different types trying to figure out which works best for me.

These are my knives from Del Stubbs at Pinewood Forge:
Chip Knives Del.JPG
From left to right: Pinewood Forge Engraving Knife available at Country Workshops, Pinewood Forge Detail Knife available at Pinewood Forge, Wayne Barton Chip Carver available at any carving tool store or website.
Chip Knives Del.JPG (38.67 KiB) Viewed 7448 times

And I own these three that I had Nic make:
Chip knives Nic.JPG
You can purchase the first two blades at http://www.nicwestermann.co.uk/detail-carving-blades/cat_11.html
Chip knives Nic.JPG (44.92 KiB) Viewed 7448 times

And here is some of the work you can do with these knives:
Apple1.JPG
Small Apple Wood Bowl with simple decorations on handle made with chip carver
Apple1.JPG (40.03 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
DSCN0812.JPG
Spalted Buckthorn Ladle with Nordic Decoration made with chip carver
DSCN0812.JPG (19.21 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
DSCN0816.JPG
Soft Maple Serving Spoon with Free Hand Decoration made with chip carver
DSCN0816.JPG (21.4 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
DSCN0817.JPG
Spalted Buckthorn Serving Spoon with Free Hand Decoration made with chip carver and stab knife
DSCN0817.JPG (21.54 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
DSCN0819.JPG
Buckthorn Serving Spoon with Nordic Decoration made with chip carver
DSCN0819.JPG (22.72 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
DSCN0820.JPG
Spalted Buckthorn Ladle with Celtic Knot and Nordic Decoration made with chip carver
DSCN0820.JPG (23.16 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 pm

BullDawg, you are doing really well! I love the handles you put on Nic's blades, they are probably the nicest looking handles I have seen. What is that wood, it's absolutely gorgeous? The pattern looks 3D, like ruffled silk - is it figured maple? Also love the first ladle, very bold, yet elegant. And I can imagine using that to dish out a rice salad or similar. Perhaps the nicest ladle I've seen. (Which spoon knife did you use for carve the bowl?). And clever incorporation of the knot into the design on the penultimate spoon - I usually encounter one or two knots each time I carve something. Celtic knot patterns?! I wouldn't even contemplate such a thing yet - well done.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:36 am

Thanks Tone, I've been working hard at refining my carving skills. You are right on about the wood on the chip knife handles, it is figured maple. Very striking. I used a combination of spoon knives to do the bowl. I used Dell Stubbs Hook knife to start the bowl and finished with Nic's finishing knife. I cleaned everything up with a mini shaving plane.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:47 am

The chip carving knife that jögge uses is a knife made by Svante Djärv. Only it it maybe 20 years old and really worn down. Not much blade left.
He posted that at the "Wood spoon carving" group on facebook, some time ago.

I have a similar knife, and it works well for me. The blade is rather thick compared to other chip carving knives.
Mikkel Frederiksen
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Wow, thanks Mikkel, that's a great answer. I just visited the SD website, they have several tools that look like possible contenders. Is it something like one of these?
Presumably not this new tool, which looks like it might be intended for somewhat similar work:
SD Cut-tool 400:-
A small short tool to make small cut, for example when decorating violins.
ImageImage
Handles length: 6,5 cm
Blades length: 3,2 cm
Edges width: 1,2 mm

Perhaps one of these?
Knives for carving and engraving:
Engraving knife 35x8 mm
Engraving knife, oblique 32x13 mm
Engraving knife, knife 34x14 mm

Or one of these (the one on the left perhaps):
To the left: Mini engraving knife 34 x 13 mm
Has grinding surface on both sides, it works fine both sculptural and with engraving.
In the middle: Turned mini V-gouge 60°
With it's thin turned blade, it is an excellent tool for decorating leather sheaths, and more

To the right: Mini gouge ø12, width. 20 mm.
has a thin blade which gives a fine control when making spoons and fine carving work.

(I love the carving sets on the same page, what a great idea - even have one for kids. A kit for crafting leather edge-guards & sheaths would be handy)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28 am

The top one in the second picture.
Mikkel Frederiksen
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I reviewed the decoration section of the DVD last night (it's the last section) on the 'puter. The knife which Jogge used had a short curved handle - reindeer antler/bone? - which looked hand crafted (by Jogge?). Oddly, the blade looked more like Bulldawg's "stab" knife than his chip-carving knife, or the middle "Oblique" knife in the SD picture above, but the tip/corner had been modified somehow to make it sharper - Jogge made a comment about the rest of the blade being blunter, something which he made use of. It looked like something he had developed himself.
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 pm

I came across this Ben Orford knife - the one on the right side in the image below - on this webpage which reminds me a lot of that used by Jogge - perhaps it was inspired by the DVD? I noticed this knife is not shown on Ben's website now, so perhaps he has abandoned this style of pick knife?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:25 am

Hmm. The Orford knife looks like a "stabber" rather than a "slicer" Now this is just me. But when I do chip carving I have evolved two dimensions: a 6mm triangle (6mm between guidelines) and a 3 mm triangle. Much bigger than 6mm, I don't like it. Much smaller than 3 mm and I can't do it! The 6mm dimension is also fine for lozenges, although maybe 4 mm is even more elegant. For the 6mm triangles/lozenges the commercial knives work fine; my Pfeil will do the job as long as I keep it sharp. For the 3mm stuff I made my own knife out of a chainsaw spring. When I use either I try to impart a slight slicing motion to the knife. With the Orford stabber I could'nt do that. Who knows, I might get used to it. Might work well for pyramids the exact width of the blade. Most important part of chip carving is to sever the fibers, or the tip of the pyramid/lozenge will not pop out. And slicing is the ticket for that. On the other hand the Orford knife would work well for incising letters, as long as they're straight : A, E, I,L, M,N,T, Y, Z. But not C and especially not S or O! But a small chisel will do the straights, too. To incise the curvy letters you need gouges, with a "sweep" (curvature) equal to the radius of the curvy letter. For the purposes of making spoon decorations you will probably not find commercial gouges sufficiently small, much less with the sweep you want. Again I make my own. I use old saw blades or chainsaw spring or whatever for raw material. I use a 2" vise as an anvil and various pieces of scrap metal as formers. A propane torch, a small hammer, a Dremel-type tool with a grinding wheel and I'm good to go. I put some of this in my blog under the label "microforging." No big investment and a fine activity for winter mornings at -20C.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Yes the curve handled Ben Orford knife, shown above, is not a regular chip carving knife, but I believe it is designed for engraving lines rather than stab cuts. The blade is 2mm thick - moderately slim. For example, I think Nic Westerman's stab knife is 3.5mm thick - presumably to make a nice big triangle - and it looked to me like Jogge's was too but Jogge tweaked the lowest corner, giving it separate bevels (at least that's how it looks to me). However, I described what I planned to use the knife for and it is possible that Ben may have modified the spec. a little in light of that (or not). If it carves lines well, I'll be happy - if happens to do stab cuts too, that's a bonus.

BTW I tried heating up a couple of things to bend with my propane to torch but couldn't get any color change in the metal. My propane torch is American (i.e. nice 'n big) - so perhaps the gas is just low. It took a while to find the big long blue bottles in the UK but B&Q carry them.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:01 pm

More on my new Ben Orford knives on the Decorative Carving thread here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2487&p=20246#p20246 (The blades are 2.5mm thick)

I spoke with a print maker at Art in Action. She carved some quite fancy fonts in different sizes, working with Lino & wood. I asked about tools and was surprised when she produced just one small gouge - which I am pretty sure is a lino block tool. Perhaps it was just one of many? I've seen lino engraving tools sold quite cheaply in art shops - might be worth looking into. Daniel Smith in WA, USA used to sell them. Big UK on-line retailers like Ken Bromley might sell them.
ToneWood
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner