Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenware"

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenw

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Back on thread, what type of adze is Jogge using? Although it looks somewhat like an HK adze I don't think it is - perhaps because of the shoulder detail he shows/mentions. I'm thinking maybe Gransfors or SD?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Tone, you should be able to get grapeseed oil just about anywhere. It has a very high burn point and so is very popular for skillet frying. It also doesn't go rancid. I've had my bottle since Christmas and I store it with my drying pieces it is fine. Does it polymerize like Linseed or even Walnut oil? Nope. At least I don't think so, but I find it does improve the feel of the wood and it soaks in readily at room temperature. If you are interested in food grade Linseed oil, there are several posts in here that mention a flaxseed grower that can sell you cold pressed linseed in any amount you want. Run a search on Raw Linseed Oil. You'll be sure to find it. The farm is also located in the UK so shipping should be reasonable. :D
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Mon May 21, 2012 3:16 am

bulldawg_65 wrote:I like that axe too. The closest thing I have found to it is the McGowan Firestone Axe http://www.mcgowanmfg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=3. Nicely priced, I've thought about buying one.

Got one. Shop around before you buy. Absolutely the best axe I ever have had, odd-looking though it may be. Highly recommended. Warning. It is stainless stel. Very hard to sharpen. I use a diamond hone on it. "resistance is futile," as Darth Vader would say, when you use diamond. Somewhere in this forum someone expressed doubts about the roll pin and setscrew tightening mechanism. After a year and a half of intensive use, neither roll pin nor setscrew have budged one micron.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby red_beard » Mon May 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info, I've been searching for a decent review and have yet to find one. Do you have any pictures that show the profile from above or below? I'm really curious about the thickness of the bit.
God bless!*

~ Jacob

*Not just for sneezes
red_beard
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 pm

Is the handle laminated? It looks a bit like shaped, thick plywood. [Folk who make wooden spearguns often cut their timber into thick layers (usually just 3 or 4) and reverse alternate layers. I guess the idea is counteract any natural tendency to bend one way or t'other.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby red_beard » Tue May 22, 2012 2:40 am

Yep, I'm pretty sure it is Baltic birch ply.
God bless!*

~ Jacob

*Not just for sneezes
red_beard
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue May 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Stainless steel is a pain to sharpen (dive knives & kitchen knives spring to mind), so interested to read jrrcaim's info. on diamond stones. I bought some diamond stones cheaply not long ago, haven't really used them much as I discovered wet & dry paper on sharpening sticks/glass around that time. Unfortunately their plates rust - and you are supposed to use them with water :(.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find stainless steel anymore difficult to sharpen than HC steel. My stainless steel mora seems to be easy to keep sharp and generally all I do to sharpen it once the edge has rounded a bit from stropping is put it on my black arkansas stone and polish it with the strop.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue May 22, 2012 6:13 pm

I gather there are various types and hardnesses of stainless steel, just as there are with carbon steel. From my own experiences, I had assumed that stainless steel was much harder than carbon steel - but I now gather that it is usually considerably softer, although I believe you can get stainless steel that is rated the same hardness as 440 carbon knife steel. My Mora Clipper carbon (when I can find it) is the best regular knife for sharpening and holding an edge that I have come across. The Swedes/Scandinavians seem to be particularly "good at steel". Perhaps they layered hard steel between soft steel, as they do with their wood carving knives?

ToneWood wrote:Back on thread, what type of adze is Jogge using? Although it looks somewhat like an HK adze I don't think it is - perhaps because of the shoulder detail he shows/mentions. I'm thinking maybe Gransfors or SD?
Could be the 700g HK model in some shots, with the slightly wider, flatter cutting profile? (I see in the youtube video, he is using the long handled HK adze favoured by Country Workshops/Drew Langser, whose video it appears to be).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri May 25, 2012 1:24 pm

ToneWood wrote:You're going to like this:

Another Viking axe option - this one from Gransfor: Gransfors Bruks Swedish Viking Axe GB499-5
There is one on ebay currently (from The Weald & Downland Open Air Museum): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gransfors-Bru ... 2300719076

Just noticed the description for this axe says it weights about 500g (inc. handle??) - that's 100g less than the head of my £5 Lidl-China carving axe, which is on the light side. 600g seems pretty light to me. I was expecting it(s head) to weigh more like 600-850g - i.e. noticeably lighter than the Swedish carving axe.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:43 pm

I just won another inexpensive Kent pattern axe head, actually the little brother/sister to my 4lb Elwell (same seller). 4" cutting edge I reckon, so probably a #2/2lber - perhaps even a little smaller, it appears to be less than 7" long?
ImageImage
I need to find some ash to helve them. Proving more difficult to find ash than I expected; there are plenty of ash trees around, just not felled/fallen. I have mentioned to several folk that I am looking for some - so maybe some will turn up. As someone pointed out to me, the thousands of beacon fires created around the country for the Queen's 60th jubilee this holiday weekend are using up a lot of the wood that is normally left around :( (he had just realised that a pile of firewood he had carefully put aside to collect next week will probably have been carted away by his colleagues for a beacon fire nearby).

I love the look and design Ronnqvist & Gransfors viking axes but a more conventional axe, mentioned by Robin Wood in his carving axe recommendations, which might be interesting is the Gransfor Bruks Wildlife axe. I believe it is about the same weight as the Gransfor viking axe picture above at 1lb/500g-ish. While it doesn't have the elegant long blade to make those lovely long carving sweeps, the smaller, more compact head could, for example, be used to hollow out a bowl (the short handled version of this axe is used on a youtube video showing this). It also comes with that legendary Swedish sharpness and a leather guard than can be threaded onto your belt. In other areas (cameras, climbing gear) I've found that things that are small/light/easy-to-carry tend to get used a lot more than equivalent items which aren't. It strikes me that it could be a very useful little axe.

A friend dropped by last weekend. He wanted to see the tools & bowl. When he picked up the Lidl China carving axe, he commented that it was heavier than it looks - 600g head. So perhaps 500g for a small/light axe is reasonable.
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:47 am

Shot some video the other day of an applewood bowl I'm working on. This axe really enhances the way I carve. It's like an extension of my arm now.

Not sure how to link these youtube videos so they pop up... any help lads?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9JO5y6Q ... ature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eopsgSOe ... ature=plcp
alexyerks
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:12 am

I don't think this forum supports pop-up youtube videos, yet. Another forum I use has them - and special Amazon & Wikipedia links - and it happens automagically, no special tags or anything.

Nice bowl, you get really nice flat surfaces with than long curved blade don't you. Nice bluesy backing tracks too. How are you keeping sharp - stones? Interesting to see how the noggins are made. ,
Nice big bowlmate; the angle in the top of the leg is like an exaggerated version of one of the legs on mine - rotating it turned out to be a handy way to adjusting the level :)

You missed one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67dDBYvd ... ure=relmfu
That HK spoon knife is cutting through that apple wood remarkably well - I've used mine a little to shape the outside of my current oak bowl. I'm using a British variation of the "Drew Langsner/Country Workshops HK system" (my phrase not theirs):

- 50mm/600g HK adze (Drew recommends the bigger longer handled adze - used bent over a low bench - but the little one does the job admirably well), then

- a broad, curved/bent 40mm xR55mm HK gouge (Drew recommends the Heavy Duty version but as Ian S. pointed out, that doesn't seem necessary), Drew then goes to a 40mmxR90mm paring gouge but again, not strictly necessary, I do without that one.

- a 45mmxR150mm HK dog-leg gouge, this allows me to get a remarkably smooth, rounded, tooled surface. The dog-leg is probably unnecessary, but it is handy for flattening the inside base of the bowl, to avoid the annoying centre "break through" points that tend to occur but US bowl maker David Fisher has managed his wonderful bowls without a dog-leg gouge - just uses the bent gouge(s). I use the dog-leg as my flattest bent gouge too - its not optimal but it does the job.

The above seem to do it all for me. And the last one is really icing on the cake, reducing the need for scraping.
I reckon you might find the middle tool useful/enjoyable nextt, although clearly not necessary - an HK gouge (paring or heavy duty, I would go for paring) 40mmxR55mm (or perhaps even the 50mmxR70mm?).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 pm

ToneWood wrote:I just won another inexpensive Kent pattern axe head, actually the little brother/sister to my 4lb Elwell (same seller). 4" cutting edge I reckon, so probably a #2/2lber - perhaps even a little smaller, it appears to be less than 7" long?
Axe head just arrived. Turns out it is damaged, classic signs on being pounded on the poll: handle hole "spiked out" on either side on the inside - as in the Gransfors Axe book P32 (outside is not deformed tho') - plus the front of hole splits right into the blade. Disappointing :( - fortunately it didn't cost much. For the record it weighs about 1+lb/550g (a #1) by John Riley & Sons, Sheffield, marked 1186. Not terribly useful to me as it is about the same size as the legendary Lidl/China carving axe - but could have been a nice carving axe for somebody. I guess it might still be usable for light duties, perhaps make a short handle for it.

Coincidently there is another axe of this exactly this type & model for sale currently, apparently in somewhat better condition: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Axe-J ... 19d1aa1746

Came across an interesting looking axe on ebay, I guess its a modern carpenters axe of traditional French design:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bahco-HFGPS-0 ... 519f81c2cc
Slim, 700g axe, looks like it might be handy, bit pricey though. The design is not unlike this viking axe head (on the Precursors to the Swedish Carving Axe? thread):
And this antique French axe head (99p on ebay): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:06 pm

I came across a nice axe today, like a bigger (800g) version of my Lidl/China carving axe (600g). Only £4.50 (~$7) with a hickory handle from the local cheap hardware store (sells a lot of Tool Zone stuff) - that's cheaper than buying a new axe handle (let alone the wedge(s)) off ebay. It is also available with a fibre glass handle for £6.50.The model number for both options was AX800. Nice size & weight, the blade is slim, as I prefer. The wooden handled one looked & felt the better option by far; the wooden handle is quite deep, front-back - giving plenty of scope to fettle the handle down for carving. Would likely need to spend serious time sharpening it (although I didn't remove the rubber edge guard).

This 600g axe on ebay looks very similar, including the gold colouring on head & handle. The one below is listed for £11.95 inc P&P.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mannesmann-Ha ... 0943549630
Blade looks quite slim for this style of axe though (usually have thick splitting blades).

This one looks just as good but cheaper still @ £7.95 inc. p&p: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600g-HAND-AXE ... 2009419188
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner