Green woodworking for Learning Disabilities

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Green woodworking for Learning Disabilities

Postby poomwood » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 am

Hi All
After being paid off from my day job (boo, yeah or somewhere in between) I have accepted an invitation to mentor some adults with learning disabilities with Daybreak at Ministeracres near Consett, Co. Durham.
Misteracres is an old Victorian Estate and there is an active restoration of the woodland providing a plentiful supply of fresh timber.
Daybreak have a lease on the walled garden within Ministeracres where they offer work experience to Adults with Learning Disabilities.
So far the wood working group have made Bird Boxes, restored some very old and lovely furniture and made some willow structures for the garden.
I am very keen to offer them some opportunities to make things from real trees and branches that they can sell at their christmas and summer fates.
My portfolio so far consists of coat hooks made from a suitable branch and buttons made from cross sections of dried twigs. I am also hoping to make them a Shave Horse so they can make gipsy flowers.
I was just wondering if any other members had other suggestions for Green Woodworking projects for these guys or have had experience in working in this sector.
Kindest regards
Tim
poomwood
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner