Having sales trouble..

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Having sales trouble..

Postby anthonywilder » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 pm

I have been carving spoons for about a year and I am pretty new to selling. I have a moderately successful etsy but the spoons do not sell. I would love any criticism or advice, especially from those who sell/buy spoons. This is my Etsy Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/anthonyswoodshop
Thanks,
-Anthony
anthonywilder

Re: Having sales trouble..

Postby gavin » Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Do you sell at markets?
Do you go face-to-face with your customer?
Do that for say 10 different markets and then report back with your experiences. You'll learn lots you can share.

A diary of items ideally with pictures you sold and the prices you sold them at will help you and readers here. Also the words or stories you used to close each sale. Trust me, there is a great deal of science to this process. I find it very predictable - which in no way lessens my enthusiasm for the selling process. I love to sell face-to-face.

Should you wish to see how it is done by Shed Therapists, PM me and I'll make some arrangements for your presence at the Royal Highland Show in Edinburgh 19 to 22 June. We really sell participation & mini-courses, and from that comes some sale of ware.

I suspect you'd like a critique of your on-line selling efforts. With respect, you are asking in the wrong place. Go hire an online marketing consultant with proven ability in this area.

Some makers don't want to talk about selling face-to-face. There may be responses below mine that abhor the notion of closing techniques, or phrases that sell ( search this forum for those terms and you'll see a variety of opinions).
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby anthonywilder » Sun May 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks Gavin, I Have been to a couple craft shows and it was my experience that people were there mostly to browse. it was treated more like a gallery than a market. I hear tell that America is lousy for craft shows and markets but that Europe is much better. I have taught a few people but I am just a beginner myself and oddly enough I have made sales as a result. I prefer face to face and would love to do more markets. Sounds like I need to give it another go. Thanks Gavin,
-Anthony Wilder
anthonywilder

Postby gavin » Mon May 26, 2014 11:27 am

]
Are you in Europe? Please update your location - I think under User Profile - the place you registered when you joined forum.
anthonywilder wrote:... been to a couple craft shows and it was my experience that people were there mostly to browse. it was treated more like a gallery than a market.
-Anthony Wilder

How it is treated is very largely down to you. You create the environment about you. You are not a passive recipient of it.
If you choose to hustle your wares - and I would - that will stand out. You'll thereby gain greater attention. Do you get you ware in people's hands? Do you ask them which one they prefer? i.e. the 2-option close You want the red one or the green one...? There's a shed load of sales techniquest out there and you only have to read more and even better just go to more shows. Or take a pal that can sell whilst you carve, but you will do better by doing both and share none of your revenue.
The single most effective sales line is asking for the sale: "Do you want it?" will do pretty well. The biggest reason people buy anything is that they were asked to buy. Unless you are actually asking for the sale - and I don't mean putting up signs - you will sell little.

Even if where you have been is treated as a gallery - remember galleries must sell to survive, unless they are publicly-funded.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner