Black locust

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Black locust

Postby Lozzuck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm showing my ignorance again. The tree surgeons have cut a Robinia pseudoacacia down yesterday at work is the wood worth saving for spoon carving, kuksa etc pieces up to 5 inches thick and about 12 inches between knots
Thanks
Never too old to learn, but often too old to remember
Lozzuck
Regular

Re: Black locust

Postby ToneWood » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Looks like a very useful wood to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinia_pseudoacacia#Uses
There are some mild references to "offensive odour" (when green) & "toxicity" (of bark & leaves) - perhaps not enough to absolutely prevent use for eating bowls/utensils but perhaps enough to deter? For non-eating bowls, I would try any wood that comes my way - even some unpromising woods have turned out to be acceptable (e.g. crack willow) or quite good (e.g. leylandii). But perhaps outside uses - if you have any - would make better use of it e.g. in fence/gate posts, gates, rose arches, gate hurdles, shingles/shakes?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Lozzuck » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Point taken Tone but any uses would be purely ornamental although if I could make a kuksa I could maybe coat it with something. The main reason for using it is to get some practice in, I really need it
Lozzuck
Regular

Postby anobium » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Robinia is a very hard wood when dry so I suggest you work it when green. It should be ideal for spoons etc. I have made some railings from it and it is very resistant to decay though is splitting more than I expected.
anobium
Regular

Postby Lozzuck » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 pm

anobium wrote:Robinia is a very hard wood when dry so I suggest you work it when green. It should be ideal for spoons etc. I have made some railings from it and it is very resistant to decay though is splitting more than I expected.

It was cut this week and I've coated the ends with pva hoping to use some at our local bodgers gathering (Cheshire)
Gaz
Lozzuck
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner