Basic Tools

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Basic Tools

Postby kurtcaddy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:45 pm

I am a newbie to the world of greenwood chair making. I have experience building furniture( beds, shelves, tables, etc) with power tools. I am wondering about the basic tools needed to begin greenwood building? I am thinking that my first project will be a simple rustic chair made from smaller branches and twigs. My goal is to become familiar with the basic chair dimensions and the use of mortise and tenon joinery. I have a 35 acre wood lot to harvest from. is there a source ( book or dvd) for chair dimensions for this basic entry level chair. I hope to build on this project and learn how to build a chair from a log by splitting and riving. Any help will be appreciated.
kurtcaddy

Re: Basic Tools

Postby SeanHellman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 pm

Where to start. Mike Abbots books are the ones I would go for, or even The Chairmaker's Workshop: Handcrafting Windsor and Post-and-rung Chairs by Drew Langsner.
You will need a shaving horse, look in Tools and shavings horses, sticky near the top of the page, on this forum.

A Drawknife, an axe and away you go. You can, with a bit of practise make very good mortices with the drawknife that fit perfectly in the tenon. There is no need to spend a fortune on Veritas tenon cutters.
To make a perfect tenon, first drill a hole through a seanseaed plank of wood, that is an inch thick. With the drawknife shave the end of the tenon down until it fits in the hole. If you twist the tenon round in the hole then a compression of fibres takes place as the tenon rubs around the edge of he mortice. Use this ring as a guide to shave the tenon to size. Remember to keep the tenon parallel along its length, do not make it pointy.
The axe should be anything from 1lb to 1.5lbs maybe even a 2 lb if you a big fit healthy lad. I like the Kentish pattern axe heads, only found only second hand these days. Drawknife, second hand, with no rust pitting on, if you can find one. £30 to £40 is a good price range for a good second hand one, if you can get one cheaper that is good then you have bagged yourself a bargain. Normal auger bits will do the job for now. Good luck and post some results.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner