Steambox

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Steambox

Postby Stanford Peverill » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Hiya - just coming to green woodworking and will be having a go at bending soon. I already have a couple of wallpaper strippers but what is the best way to get volumes of stream into my box. I have see some of the 'pros' standing their box on a gas or electric water boiler. Can anyone please tell me how the connection is made in order to maintain the pressure
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Re: Steambox

Postby gavin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 am

Buy Mike Abbott's Going with the Grain 2nd Edition.
Look on youtube.
The pressure does not need maintained, but you do need to stop any leaks as best you can. My wallpaper stripper hose just feeds into my steambox via a hole. I suggest you just do it. Your second attempt will be much better than first. I would suggest you attempt to insulate the box if you can.

In recent Bodgers Gazette was an article about steam boxes. This was made from Kingspan or Celotex i.e. insulated board and held with Duct Tape. Very simple!
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks for that Gavin - yes I did get Abbots book and note his picture on p105 and the accompanying information now makes sense - I will throw more insulation around the steam box - Cheers
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 pm

As Gavin said it is not about pressure, but about getting a good flow of steam through. Insulation is the key and a box that is just big enough for the work in hand.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner