Clinging Film

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Clinging Film

Postby Stanford Peverill » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:24 pm

I have acquired several square section lengths of ash to bend a few chair backs. Is it realistic to wrap/bind the remaining lengths that are waiting to be use in cling-film to maintain its moisture content or will I be building up troubles with moulds and other 'nasties'. To what extent is this possible please??
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Re: Clinging Film

Postby gavin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:31 am

Best to work it green and not wrap it. After all the best moisture protection is bark.
But to answer your question, I suggest you try it and see. And the sooner you work it, the moister it shall be.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks Gavin, I will monitor it and perhaps see what happens in the medium term and split the quantity leaving one sample 'cling filmed' and the other exposed to the atmosphere and then do a test bend to evaluate the the impact of the steaming process. Have you ever stored 'stock' under water to stop it drying out?? I have several water butts that would take several rough cut chair arm lengths for a soak. I think the American green chair maker Peter Garbert (?) mentions it in one of his presentation.
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:34 pm

With reference to my June 2016 entry regarding the use of cling film. I have just steam bent eight lengths of ash that will be used for arms and backs that had been stored in wrap for over a year. I have to say that they bent brilliantly despite my anxiety that they may have lost their moisture content. Perhaps not very scientific and taking consideration of the quality of the wood but, from my perspective, the storing of 2"X 2"X 6' section in cling film worked very well and I was pleased despite my initial anxiety of over a year ago. My next batch of stock will again be wrapped in the cling film and stored.....but not forgotten. Give it a go and I would be interested in comments.
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner